+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And the time is..........

Default And the time is..........

In the October issue of Popular Science' in "The Goods- 12 must-have products" section. there is advertised a watch that purports to calculate when fish are most likely to bite. It's components/sensors calculate that probability based on pressure and temperature. Personally my comment would be" you've GOT to be kidding". While I might agree that there might be some minuscule effect that temp and pressure might have on the LIKELYHOOD of catching fish I think these variables would affect ME more than the FISH. Right now if MY watch says "Saturday", I go fishin but I look outside first. If it's below 30 deg or raining cats and dogs, I watch UW Wyoming football ( GO POKES) instead.
    Would you add this "watch" to your fly fishing repertoire?? origowatch.com

Mark

Default Re: And the time is..........

Hey Mark,
    Would that make it a "Witch Watch".
    Bill

Thats why it is in popular science.

I say it doesn't matter. Go fishing and have fun, catching will follow.

I think it might have some validity in as much as pressure and temperature likely affect particular hatches taking place. Somehow though I doubt the watch is synchronized with a hatch database. And if it did the results would only include best fishing time for species that consume insects.

I still have to agree with the saying the best time to go fishing is when you have time. Like NOW!!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Since catching is just one component of why I go fishing, I would most likely not put that watch on my Christmas Wish List. I fish when time allows or when I have planned an outing (like today and tomorrow while I'm on vacation), so the watch might just verify why I did or did not catch fish on that given outing. I'm a mediocre fisherman (at best), so the watch would give me an excuse when I have a fishless day.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Mark,
    If it would help me earn the respect of my fellow fishermen, I would buy it, hang it around my neck (without batteries) and go fishing!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

and so he turns slowly and says to LF, "Look, it says right here, It's time to go fishing!" She scowls the usual, knowing the lawn will grow another inch today. "Well, go then! But I wish I had never got you that stupid watch for your birthday!" "Thanks hon, just think, without this nifty watch I would never know when is the best time to go. You're the best!" *smoooch!* And with that, Castwell is out the door...

And there is a plus side to everything!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    and so he turns slowly and says to LF, "Look, it says right here, It's time to go fishing!" She scowls the usual, knowing the lawn will grow another inch today. "Well, go then! But I wish I had never got you that stupid watch for your birthday!" "Thanks hon, just think, without this nifty watch I would never know when is the best time to go. You're the best!" *smoooch!* And with that, Castwell is out the door...
    JC,
    That was pretty good!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Somehow, I don't think it would really take a watch to tell Castwell when to go fishing. Nor would he need it for and excuse. It must be one of those many blessings a person gets when his wife is smitten by the same affliction as is he. Assuming you could call fishing an affliction.

Bob Bolton

+ Reply to Thread