+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis mach Reels..

Default Orvis mach Reels..

Anyone have any experience with them???

They are on-sale now and I was gonig to pick one up. The Mach III for Steehead.

I was also going to pick up a 7wt clearwater 10' tip flex for steelhead, too.

Anyone have an experience with either one?

I have a few orvis rods and reels and like them a lot. Was just curious if any would recommened these at full price.

Default Re: Orvis mach Reels..

Some guy bought the all of Tempest reels that Albright had and is selling them at half price.

Not exactly sure what that means JC, not really up to date on all brands and names of reels.

JC,

Not only did that business buy up the reels, they are having them produced under their own label, but still called the 'Tempest' and continuing to sell them for half of what Albright did. It is a very good reel, cork drag draw bar design, for less than $200.

Yes, actually, his name is Ray Hutcherson, website is sealevelflyfish.com

I had the Mach III for a while and sold it to a friend, and wish I hadnt. Very good reel, especially for the price. Easy to adjust drag is its best feature. While they say it works for a 5 weight, it is overkill for that line. 7 weight and you will be just fine.

I've got the MachV (British made) and a MachIV (Chinese made). The 5 has been an awesome reel. Very fast and smooth, with a pretty durable finish. The 4, i'm not sure about yet, since I just got it and have only used it once. It doesn't seem as smooth as the British made one and it seems to have a couple spots, on the line in, where the clicker just stops. I'll give it a little more of a work out and see what happens. Personally, if you're going with a 10' 7wt., the Mach IV may work better for you. It would balance out the ten footer nicely. I've got a 10' T3, 6wt. and it balance that rod perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pspaint
    I've got the MachV (British made) and a MachIV (Chinese made). The 5 has been an awesome reel. Very fast and smooth, with a pretty durable finish. The 4, i'm not sure about yet, since I just got it and have only used it once. It doesn't seem as smooth as the British made one and it seems to have a couple spots, on the line in, where the clicker just stops. I'll give it a little more of a work out and see what happens. Personally, if you're going with a 10' 7wt., the Mach IV may work better for you. It would balance out the ten footer nicely. I've got a 10' T3, 6wt. and it balance that rod perfect.

WHERE DID YOU GET A 10' T3 in a 6wt? I only see 7wt. and that is the Salt Water...... Jealouse!

pspaint has been known to sell a kidney or two for the more desirable fishing effects out there.

If I remember right, there was a 10' 6wt T3 but it was the freshwater Brown/Green and had the saltwater reel seat. It wasn't around very long so I was wondering if my memory was right on this one.

+ Reply to Thread