+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duck Breast Feathers

Default Duck Breast Feathers

This note is posted in lieu of extending remarks on Quivira Kid's post about Seagull feathers.

Gandolf responded with usage for duck feathers as did others. One of the most neglected part of the duck is the breast feathers. You find patterns that call for the flank and wing feathers, but few for the breast feathers. I find that the breast feathers from most male ducks make excellent wings. Also the feathers from the hen duck can also be used.

Here is a link to A. K. Best tying a spent wing caddis that illustrates one of the many ways the breast feather can be used.

Tim

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=1

Default Re: Duck Breast Feathers

Thanks Tim!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Great video... and thanks for the tips.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Fantastic looking fly, and works like a charm no doubt. I use a few patterns that resemble the fly mentioned above with absolutely great results. In fact I might be able to find a recipe for one of my favorites. It is an emerger rather than a spent caddis, but tied relatively similar. I pasted it in the link below. The fly is also tied with a breast feather, but this time from a woodduck. It is known as Nancy's Prayer.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/berickson ... prayer.htm

The cdc underwing is essential, but should be tied in sparsely IMO. I would think Mallard could be used as well in order to match different wing colors. Hackle can be added sparsely to go for the spent look, or thick to skitter, but I like the original emerger. And as the tier mentions in the link, this is also the best caddis emerger pattern I have ever fished.

Hey those are cool, thanks guys. They look pretty similar to a henryville caddis, but I like the idea of clipping the hackle, and especially of skipping the hackle all together. It would be fun to tie some with rabbits foot for the abdomen and thorax.

That is a great pattern, Grouse, Partridge, Hen back feathers...and many others can also be used in it's tying as well, As A.K. states..atleast in the full version of the video that it's just the basic pattern and can be changed to match whatever is in your local stream's....Also...If the hunting or finding someone who duck hunts locally does not pan out....Feather Craft sells Hen mallard skin's....Still need to get me self one of those.....One of these days I'll remember it when placing an order.

Edit:
    Hummm....Guess She's still logged in...lol...had her log in to enter the drawing...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ahab
    The cdc underwing is essential, but should be tied in sparsely IMO.

I've tied it without the cdc and found it to be an effective wet fly.
    Tenkara Bum

+ Reply to Thread