+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what salt flies to use?

Default Re: what salt flies to use?

Dudley - I never realized about the sliders and gurglers. I aasumed that was basicly a fresh water fly only.

Where I was fishing yesterday, the bluefish were busting on huge schools of small bait.
    My little streamer was lost in the mass.
    I put a popper dropper in front of my deceiver to cause a disturbance and attract added attention.
    I went from catching nothing to getting a fish on every cast, including a number of doubles

Gurglers are a saltwater fly that also just happens to work great in the sweet water too
    They were developed for baby tarpon.
    A foam slider or a deerhair slider, like a snake fly, is just the thing swung on a tight line in current, especially at night. The fly's wake will attract game fish from a good ways off.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

JRA,im not a member of the Delaware club but I know a few of the guys and fish with them on occasion.I agree with what Dudley said.Right now I have been doing pretty good on stripers with topwater poppers.All my Clousers and decievers go untouched but they smash a popper worked quickly across the surface.Im glad to hear you have already been dealing with Mason.I met him about 11 years ago when he had his shop in the old Salisbury mall.He is a very good guy to know and do business with.

Ill assume the stripers your getting are mostly morning/evening? Where are you catching them at? I went out Yestarday after work at about 10 am and didnt have much luck .I was fishing the Manokin and tried fishing differeent depths between the shallows and deeper water mostly on shells . I then moved over to a small creek that had a 14 ft deep spot with alot of tidal movement ...no luck
    I did meet another guy fly fishing who suggested I try it earlier in the day and give it a few weeks for the stripers to pick up.
    Maybe the water is still just a little to warm ...I didnt even catch much on peeler or fish bites. Yes I had a hook and line over ...just do tell everyone..lol

JRA, I have a couple flies I am going to tie and send your way. I think you will like them. Try them in the salt and let me know what you catch with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenfish
    JRA, I have a couple flies I am going to tie and send your way. I think you will like them. Try them in the salt and let me know what you catch with them.
    Gardenfish thanks .....

+ Reply to Thread