+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you keep your clouser minnows in?

Default What do you keep your clouser minnows in?

Just wondering what type of fly box/container you keep your clousers in? Looking for a new or better way of storing them. Have tried the plano tackle trays and morrell fly boxes and am not satisfied. Thanks, Gary

Default Re: What do you keep your clouser minnows in?

"Fox Box" (salmon/bass/salt model)

I originally bought it for another use but quickly determined its best use (for me) was for Clousers and bass bugs.

Negatives: heavy, a bit ugly , and not widely distributed

Positives: extremely tough, nothing to corrode, secure latch, no foam

It's very deep (1.75"), so there's never an issue with smushed flies. Hooks hold securely (upright) in the poly clips. I've never had a problem with any flies slipping.

It appears very similar to the "Bug Luggage" boxes that are more widely marketed. I seem to recall the Fox Box being heavier and with a better hinge.

Feather-Craft lists them here http://www.feather-craft.com/2007MAster ... sp?page=34

I believe the trout model received a mixed reaction, but the salmon/bass/salt model has really worked fine for these bigger flies.

A minnow bucket...

[url=http://www.thesmilies.com:c5e03][/url:c5e03]

Only kidding...

Cabela's sells an inexpensive fly box that comes in various configurations; among which is a "nubby tack" undivided box. The nubby tack does hold larger hook sizes pretty well. If that doesn't float your boat you can remove the nubby stuff and put in plain sheet foam.

I use plain sheet foam in an undivided box for 99% of my streamers and wets. Despite the fact it wears out over time; it is easily replaced.

You can see the box [url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20550&id=0001410314083a&navCount=3&podId=000141 0&parentId=cat20550&masterpathid=&navAction=push&c atalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat205 50&hasJS=true:c5e03]here[/url:c5e03].

BTW - IF you are interested and can wait; these Cabela's boxes go on sale OFTEN.

Truth be told I have tried may different boxes and now keep most of my saltwater flies in plastic Plano type boxes. Otherwise they just get loose in anything clip or foam style box.

jed

I have used smaller plano 6 compartment boxes. I have used regular foam fly boxes with and without ripples. The only box that I have used and not been happy with is a flat foam box from Orvis. I doesn't seem to hold them as well as one with softer foam. Heck, I have even put a few in a plastic bag and put them in a shirt pocket. I also have one of those sheep skin lined fly wallets from LLBean. Very nice and very classy. But not that practicle.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Cliff's Bugger Barn.

http://www.cliffoutdoors.com/

Double-ditto on the Bugger Barn, the best

I have one of each size "Fox Box" mentioned above. I really like them. I would have more of them but they are so dang expensive.

For local work from boats, I use a FlyTrak box ( www.flytrak.com ). Great product with magnetic clips that hold the fly.

When traveling and have significant weight restrictions, I use those binders with ziplock bags that bass anglers use for spinnerbaits or plastic worms.

When float tubing I use a a small plano box with a few flies.

When surf fishing, I have a sheep wool patch sewn into the inside of my little chest pack and just store the flies in that (barbs crushed ahead of time so they come out easier).

Crash,

I carry them a couple of ways, just a few in a foam box etc. with other streamers in a "just in case box" when planning on fish mostly dries or other stuff.

But when I plan to fish streamers mostly, I use the same system that I use for stripers here in salt. I use a cheap 6 compartment box, but put flies like clousers, deceivers etc. in 1 1/2"x 8" plastic sleeves. You can fit a ton of flies in the slots this way without tangling everything up.

Just don't put wet flies back in the sleeves.

Hope this helps.

peregrines

+ Reply to Thread