+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Mid-Arbor vs Battenkill Bar Stock

Default Orvis Mid-Arbor vs Battenkill Bar Stock

Evening Folks,

I have an older Orvis Battenkill 8/9 reel that I am not happy with because the metal piece on the bottom of the reel keeps rubbing the spool and squeaks so I called Orvis and they agreed to let me return it even though it is several years old and I don't have the receipt. (Good service!) Anyway I am thinking about replacing it with either the Mid-Arbor or Bar Stock battenkill. It looks like the Bar Stock is lighter but other than that they are both machined and anodized. So who can tell me the pros and cons of each?

BTW, I will use this mainly for largemouth bass and maybe some fresh water stripper. There may be a very little amount of salt somewhere down the way too.

Thanks,
    Dan

i wish i could catch freshwater strippers...

Hummmm, I must have had a Freudian slip! Striper is what I was really thinking about, honest.

Dan

I like the mid-arbor myself. I think it's a bit less expensive, has a sealed drag, and I like the big drag knob as opposed to the smaller one on the bar stock. but that's just my humble opinion.

I have both and I love them. The only complaint I have is that the Mid Arbor is made in Korea.

phish

OzarkFF57-

For freshwater use, IMO either one will be fine. For the salt, though, the MidArbor with its sealed drag would be my choice.

Phish -

British Fly Reels, the co. that made Battenkills (both cast and machined) and CFO's for Orvis is defunct. All future Orvis reels will be made in Asia. FWIW, my local Orvis store has only a few of the English machined reels in stock and none of the cast ones. Judging from the Mid Arbor reels, the Batt's from Asia should be of good quality, but there's something sad about Orvis no longer selling British reels. I have a CFO and a cast Battenkill, both C&P, and like and use them both a lot.

Hey Dan~ I have a Mid Arbor for sale on the For Sale Board. It is a Mid Arbor IV with brand new SA mastery WF floating 8wt line on it.Used one time.I find myself using my saltwater gear more.Nothing wrong with the reel at all.~Scott

------------------
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

+ Reply to Thread