+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flexcoat applied over Permagloss

Default Flexcoat applied over Permagloss

I was thinking of covering my wraps with 1 or 2 coats of permagloss to set everything and seal the thread and then follow up with one or two coats of Flexcoat Light to build some thickness to the wraps.

Do these two materials interact favorably? Will there be long term consequences like cracking or yellowing or softening.

Would appreciate your opinion

Default Re: Flexcoat applied over Permagloss

It will work. Would I recommend it? NO. The FlexCoat will definitely yellow, that has nothing to do with the PermaGloss being underneath it. The only FC that doesn't yellow dramatically, is the OEM version with the UV inhibitors in it. Why not just finish the job with PG, five to six coats and you are done. No finish is harder, more flexible and easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman
    I was thinking of covering my wraps with 1 or 2 coats of permagloss to set everything and seal the thread and then follow up with one or two coats of Flexcoat Light to build some thickness to the wraps.

Do these two materials interact favorably? Will there be long term consequences like cracking or yellowing or softening.

Would appreciate your opinion

3. Default Re: Flexcoat applied over Permagloss

Could someone please post photos of a rod with the wraps finished with multiple coats of permagloss alone. I would be fascinated to actually see the resulting finish from such. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blankcrafter
    Could someone please post photos of a rod with the wraps finished with multiple coats of permagloss alone. I would be fascinated to actually see the resulting finish from such. Many thanks.
    3 Coats ...

8 Coats ...

Like I said, 5-6 coats should be just right for most fly rods. Truthfully, once the thread is completely sealed - 3 coats, anything else is window dressing since fly rods are not subject to rough handling and abrasion of wraps. Thread holds the guide on, finish protects the thread ... at least in traditional cases. Permagloss and other urethanes are an exception to that rule, they do increase strength - two part epoxies do not. Permagloss is so unique that it can be used without thread to adhere and hold guides ...

Threadless wrap using Permagloss ...

Just in case some are skeptical, here is a threadless wrap having a bit of torque applied to it ...

Owwwie!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

ok so where do you get permagloss

It is a Trondak U-40 product ... anywhere that sells Duragloss LS Supreme should carry it. Another REALLY great U-40 product is Ferrule Lube ... once you try it, you will NEVER look at paraffin again.

I looked completely through the sponsor list ... Hook and Hackle does carry them both. In addition, Anglers Workshop is a terrific vendor with a wide range of rodbuilding components and supplies, but also reels, line and much more. Great people to do business with.

+ Reply to Thread