+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Boxes for Midges

Default Fly Boxes for Midges

I recently started fishing with midges due to some interesting conditions locally this summer.
    Thanks to the amazing talents of some of this board's tiers I have an excellent selection. However I have found that the combination of the tiny flies and my big fingers the standard boxes and altoid tins I use are pretty inadequate.
    I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations?
    Thanks as always

Default Re: Fly Boxes for Midges

little round magnets might help

Normand Guest

c & f

I agree with Norm on the C&F boxes. I have several varieties, all very conducive to midge dries and nymphs. If you have trouble stringing the flies on a leader, try the C&F threader boxes. That way you can put the flies on the threaders under a magnifier at home, then slip them from the threader onto the leader once you are on the stream.

I use and like the C&F Midge Fly Box. It has slots for 161 Flys, 2 Fly Threaders, and 3 small Plastic Box'es inside of it. I find it perfect for midges. Just my 2 cents. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Someone (I thought it was C&F, but I can't find a listing now, for love nor money!!) makes a nice little tweezer intended to be used to pick individual flies from a box. Clips right on your vest/lanyard. I'll keep looking.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, try orvis. I think I remember an orvis threader box with tweazers at somepoint. I could be wrong though.

Rawfish, I havent used one but look at the daysworth flybox.It has a magnetic sheet to spread out your midges and is much cheaper than the C&F flyboxes. I do have the bugger barns and LOVE them. I was planning to try out their other boxes in the spring.
    http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/CLIFF- ... S-C79.aspx

PS I just googled cliffsoutdoors and this was the first site that popped up. Not sure if a sponser carries their products but I am sure someone knows.

The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Blog Entries

Danbob ( an faol member ) Is producing small midge boxes that are the perfect size for your vest pocket while out on the stream . The wind absolutly cannot blow the flies out of it because of the super magnets it contains. He gave me one at the Idaho fish in and I just love it. Holds about 100 or so tiny midges without crushing them in any way.

He said he will be selling them for about 10 bux each. I prefer mine to all the other slotted ones I have as it is much easier to get a fly out without spilling any on the ground.

Plus I lost mine in May with about 60 chronomyds in it. In late june when we returned to the same lake a gentleman came up to me and said, Hello you dropped this last time you were here. He then handed me my lost box. What a nice guy. He said he wasn't a fisherman but camped there a lot.
    So the Danbob flybox has boomerang properties as well as being a great fly holder.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread