+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MacHopper and MacSalmon

Default MacHopper and MacSalmon

I want to try tying these two Al Troth patterns, the problem is finding the body material, plastic macrame cord, has proven to be almost impossible. I have been to all my local craft stores and Wal-Mart and so far no luck. In all the craft stores they told me the product is no longer carried. I searched online and found some, but in 100-yard spools, I only want to tie a few of each.

Does anybody on the board have some of this yellow (MacHopper) and orange (MacSalmon) macrame cord that they would be willing to trade/sell to me?

Regards,

Alberto

Default Re: MacHopper and MacSalmon

Try this link...

http://www.carolsrugs.com/macrame_cord.htm

It still comes in 50yd spools, but at less than 4$ a spool you can splurge....Maybe a material swap among other member is in order...

I'm not familiar with the patterns you mentioned, I have tied a salmon fly pattern that used 'macrame' cord, but it was tied to the hook after it was combed out into a long fluffy strand. Any poly yarn can substitute...

Alberto...check out the thrift stores...they frequently have macram? hanging basket holders ,and other craft projects from long ago.... that people have turned in...need to luck out on the colors though....so an alternative is the handles on those fancy sacks...check out the dollar stores for less expensive sacks...

Normand Guest

Thanks to all for the tips.

Normand, I ended up going to the website you linked to. Got the macrame yard and a few other things I just HAD to have.

Thanks to all.

Alberto

OK, that's settled ....so this won't be a highjack....

I've done my share of fishing the big salmonfly hatch....[you can look up the official name if you want]...the MacSalmonfly imitates it....and there's been something that has bothered me about most of the imitations of the salmonfly.....they are almost always tied with orange bodies....
    The actual insect has a brown slightly reddish [almost mahogany] body and the segments are orange.

I don't suppose it matters much [to the fish] and the orange may be a key but I tie mine with brownish bodies and create the orange stripe with thread.

Ducksterman are you then still using the macrame yarn for the body then. I would love to see a photo or recipe for it to use tie up some for myself this winter. I have a whole deal of lt brown macrame I picked up at Value Village for $1.

hikepat,

When I used the macram? I just substitute brown for the body and did the orange collar...

http://www.westfly.com/patterns/dry/macsalmon.shtml

Now I pretty much use foam for the body...[create it on a needle] and do make the more segments with orange thread.

I guess one could segment the macram? too if you wanted to bother.

I don't think the color matters as much as the size and silhouette. Ive caught a lot of stonefly hatches and have caught good trout with black bodies, gray bodies, bright orange bodies and rust bodies. One of my favorite patterns is a twisted foam body. I can get the best of all worlds because the body will have orange, brown, and black twisted together. I could even add some gray if I wanted. It's a sweet pattern when the fish are up on the stone adults. While the big name rivers get all the attention during stonefly time, I have been amazed at the number of smaller rivers and streams that have these huge bugs. It's a blast to take the largest fish in these streams with a size 4 stone dry. It's equally amazing to catch the eight inchers with a huge imitation sticking out of their lip! Great fun!

Okay Native, I have to ask.

How do you make a multi-colored foam twist/rope? What kind of foam do you use? I'm very interested.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

+ Reply to Thread