+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Day Trip with Shore Lunch!

Default A Day Trip with Shore Lunch!

You are going to set out on a day long drift down a lazy river or cruise a lake. There at least 3 float craft. You know you are going to catch some nice bream (In your Dreams at least). You want to stop about half way and have a shore lunch. What would pack in your Canoe or 'toon to make this happen? I've done several trips to Canada but we were in 14' outboards, what about 8' toons? Probably pull up on a gravel bar which rules out using river rocks for a fire pit ( unless you are wearing full body armor!!)
    Of course Peanut butter and Jelly sandwhichs if the fishing is poor!
    I know that several of you have done this so it's about time to share with the rest of us!

Default Re: A Day Trip with Shore Lunch!

Jack,
    You might try making yourself a hobo stove. I make mine out of a #10 can ( 1 gallon) cut the top all the way off then if you want to get fancy cut a little door2"X4" in the side at the bottom. Drill some holes around the edge at the top and thread a wire coat hanger through the holes to keep smaller pots and pans from falling in. I also punch holes around the top and bottom with a can opener but don't go over board or you'll affect the strength of the can.
    I also have a small stove that dates back to colonial times that is called a "brassier" that is basically the same thing only it is much heavier and wouldn't work for this unless weight was no object. Both "stoves" make efficient use of natural fuel.

Rusty <><

3. Default Re: A Day Trip with Shore Lunch!

I also have a small stove that dates back to colonial times that is called a "brassier" that is basically the same thing only it is much heavier and wouldn't work for this unless weight was no object. Both "stoves" make efficient use of natural fuel.
    A "brassier"??? ...from colonial times??? Are you sure that what you have there isn't a bit of archaic, ladies armor??

There are a number of very small propane stoves available as well as compact cookware to go with it. Check REI or some other place that sells equipment for backpacking. Also, you might want to get some waterproof matches--just in case...

J. Marcus
    http://flyrodjewelry.com

Blog Entries

It probably should go without saying, but then you've seen my ability to forget things, bring a fillet knife and a plastic cutting board to work on. If you plan on having enough wood available, just bring a grill top tp lay across rocks. Otherwise, consider the sterno option. Back when I was a boy scout, they told us never to make a fire ring out of river stones because they contain hydyo-(hygro-?)scopic water and can burst explosively. I've seen 'em crack, but never throw shrapnel. Double bag stuff in Ziplock bags.

Ed

My favorite was steak tataki (grilled then marinated steak served cold) with sushi rolls.
    Its pre-made so no wasted time, its delicious and easily packable.

jed

Jed,
    The steak thing sounds good. Do you have a recipe? Opps not to hijack... A brassier or a hobo stove or a hibachi or any other name you want to give it are all ideas with the same goal. A small efficient heat source for cooking meals. the idea between them all is that you concentrate the heat source up into a small column that is applied to the cooking utensil. I am told that the reason the Chinese cook in a wok is because it allows such a heat source to be used in this manner thus consuming very little fuel for the amount of cooking that is done. there is a pocket cooker offered at http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/Merchant ... ry_Code=BM

that is said to be very efficient as well although I have never personally used one. All of these above mentioned heat sources use natural available fuel and will usually allow a fire in an area where regulations say no open fires because the fires here are contained.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
    Rusty <><

Blog Entries

I have been told that if you put the charcoal into a cookie tin, when done cooking you can put the lid on and smother it and reuse what is left of the coals, that and a small grate and you could cook almost anywhere.

anyone tried this?

My menu would be

Apples, bagles or crackers, cheese, cookies and if the fish wernt biteing dry sausage, along with drink to match the season

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

There's a stove which is called the Zip Stove which will burn anything and is very light, I have used one a few times in Canada when I was younger. A 7 inch Teflon stove, a small coffee pot and fix en's, oil or butter, breading, potatoes, onion, small amt of herbs in baggie, canned fruit, fruit drink which you pore into bottled water. Mmmmm can almost taste it. Place all into water tight container. Oh and a lighter.

nighthawk Guest

Give these a try:

http://www.heatermeals.com/

They pack easily and you can get single meals at almost any sporting goods store or truck stop. You can order them online too.

nighthawk Guest

Single heater meals can be ordered here:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... GO&x=0&y=0

+ Reply to Thread