+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which fly line would you choose.

Default which fly line would you choose.

I am buying a new floating fly line and do not have a great amount of money to spend. For me to spend $50 plus dollars for a fly line is out of the question. Just don't have that kind of money. I have chosen 2 different lines and would like your opinion. The first is cabella's prestige plus fly line. The second is Cortlands 333 fly line. I am buying the fly line in a wf6f and I am using it for river fishing. I will be fishing large and small dry's. If anyone has any other recommendations as long as it is $40 or less please make it. Thanks for your opinions

Default Re: which fly line would you choose.

The cabelas out of those 2.
    I have had the line from cabelas, Well worth more than what you pay for it.

Just a thought. Why not post this to the Thing Wanted section and see if someone has a higher $ line for less they can part with in your price range? Or may someone might have one of the other lines you mentioned for less as well.

Sorry I am not fimilar with the Cabela's or Cortland line.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Deezel Guest

Not familiar with the Cabela's. The Cortland 333 was 'state-of-the-art' when it came out and is still an excellent line. By the way, and I really don't know, it might be interesting to learn what company makes the Cabela's fly line. Cortland, perhaps?

Deez

I haven't examined the recent version of the Prestige Plus, but I have an older version of the Prestige Line (less expensive than the Plus) and it seemed very similar to a Cortland 333HT line that I also had. This would lead me to believe that the Prestige Plus is an upgrade over the 333.

Two other lines in your specified price range to consider are the Scientific Anglers Lefty Kreh Signature Series line and the Scientific Anglers Master Headstart. Both are available from the same source as the two lines you mentioned.

from what i have heard, the cabela's prestige plus is a scientific anglers line. the new version also has the coating. i have a 5 wt cabela's. very nice line. the orvis silver label and the orvis clearwater are decent lines in your price range. i have a 6wf in the clearwater that has just been fished a couple of times that i could be persuaded to get rid of on the cheap. p.m. me if interested.

Talking about cheaper lines only, I have a Cabelas Prestige Plus and it is a very handy little line. I would choose it over the 333.

Also, I do not mind the Orvis lines, I have a couple that came with the reels and quite like them too for a cheapie.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

nighthawk Guest

The Prestige Plus line.

Normand Guest

cortland 444 peach

$48 @ cabelas

I have one of the Cabela lines and at least 10 of the 333s, they're both fine
    My new favorite cheap lines are the Northern Sports factory seconds, $9, free shipping
    The shop that sells them is not a sponsor, you can PM me for the URL if you're interested
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread