+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bite tippet?

Default Bite tippet?

Last week I went to one of my favorite smallie spots on a local river. Uncharacteristically, I had three fish break me off. This has never happened to me before, but I chalked it up to maybe a malfunctioning bit of tippet. Last night I returned to this spot, and the 30" inch Northern Pike I managed to land may have provided an answer. First water wolf I have ever caught on the long rod, and quite exciting too by the way. My question is, what do ya'll use? I don't like the idea of wire tippets, but I don't like the idea of leaving fish swimming around with flies hanging off their lip either. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Bite tippet?

I use the knotable wire
    forget what the name brand is
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Try a short piece of superbraid. Power pro in 20 or 30 pounds shoud do the trick.

You will need to replace it every now and then.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

ah, a thirty inch pike. That must have been fun and it brings back some fond memories for me. A thought - I wonder if a longer hook say 6x or more would help any or perhaps use a stinger hook.

Pirates use fluorocarbon leader material in salt water.

Rusty <><

Powerbraid, that sounds like it might be the ticket. I have never used flourocarbon, is it that much tougher? The fish I caught last night was on a clouser tied on a Mustad 34007. rather short shanked, but I think I may have gotten lucky. I assume the damage is done when the fish first grabs the fly, or if it manages to get it into it's gullet with the tippet passing through it's teeth. This one was hooked right through the top lip, and the tippet was well clear of the snaggles. On Global FlyFisher there is a short article on making bite leaders out of .5 mm piano wire, which sounds possible.

Most of the scissors I have will not easly cut the PowerPro. I have Leatherman Micra clipped to my vest - it's the only decent tool that cuts the stuff. I pulled a bnunch of pickerel on my spinning gear where the line went thrigh their teeth. Yeah I had to cut that section off since it's been frayed but I never lost the fish...
    You can say this stuff is tough...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Berkley fireline works as well as any of the super lines as well...just say'in
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I have Fireline on one of my spinning reels, and I thought about giving that a try. That is some tough stuff. My line nippers won't touch it.

While it is a bit expensive, I have pretty much switched to short sections (3 in or so) of titanium wire. It knots well and absolutely will not kink. The problem with wire tippets is you may not have as much luck with the smallies. It may however increase your chances of actually landing the 48in pike that may be lurking nearby.

If you are tying flies just for the pike, use some long shanked hooks and tie on the rear of the hook only. This works well for bluefish in the salt.

Regards,
    Keith

+ Reply to Thread