+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled spey leaders

Default Furled spey leaders

Hi,

Just fyi...Someone asked me to make some spey leaders for his trip to Iceland, and we messed about with tread (6/0 Uni) and new boards, and all. Some of you are probably already making these, but this is what we came up with to suit his need. I don't spey cast, so I'm just relying on him.

The board I finally used is a 12-foot long 2X6, so I decreased its length right off by insetting the pegs from the ends (I just used finish nails as a quick start), and then I decreased the leader 10% in spinning/ twisting, so the final leader is 10"9" . It seems to work nicely, at least my guy said so.

Formula for taper: 34 - 28- 22- 18 - 14 threads
    (half per side), so the top loops are 17, the next loops are 11 , and there are 7 threads on either side of the bottom.

Fun, but takes two of us to flip the board up and it can't be raining (I make them on the upper deck outside, overlooking the ponds - which I'm sure helps!)

Just another 2 cents,
    Kat

Default Re: Furled spey leaders

Kat

I'll have to give those a try with the powered board. No tipping up...just stomp on the pedal and let the motor do the work

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Scott
    Hi,

Just fyi...Someone asked me to make some spey leaders for his trip to Iceland, and we messed about with tread (6/0 Uni) and new boards, and all. Some of you are probably already making these, but this is what we came up with to suit his need. I don't spey cast, so I'm just relying on him.

The board I finally used is a 12-foot long 2X6, so I decreased its length right off by insetting the pegs from the ends (I just used finish nails as a quick start), and then I decreased the leader 10% in spinning/ twisting, so the final leader is 10"9" . It seems to work nicely, at least my guy said so.

Formula for taper: 34 - 28- 22- 18 - 14 threads
    (half per side), so the top loops are 17, the next loops are 11 , and there are 7 threads on either side of the bottom.

Fun, but takes two of us to flip the board up and it can't be raining (I make them on the upper deck outside, overlooking the ponds - which I'm sure helps!)

Just another 2 cents,
    Kat
    Hi Kathy -- Is this the guy that asked about tests for breaking points, floating versions, and sinking versions? I thought he wanted an end result of 14 feet? This is cool -- If I ever try spey, I'll remember this formula.

But what are the TAPER positions? Where are you putting the pegs? I came up with a good formula for a friend on his Salmon quest that I guess worked out great according to the pictures.

This was that guy... originally I developed him a formula, and let it go at that.

But the ones I've made lately are actually for friends, and this formula varies a bit.

On this board, David placed peg holes every foot down both sides. The spacing I used are approximately equaul, with a bit longer butt. I took the pegs out, but if this isn't clear enough, the next time I get it out I can measure ... its something like 3 feet down on the left, then ever two feet.

Kat

Hi,
    I?m a new member from Sweden. I make furled leaders for myself and friends since some years. Here?s the peg positions I use for a 14 feet spey furled leader: http://hem.bredband.net/b141536/LeaderCalc.gif

I use 9,5,3 strands of thread on each side and then a single thread of the finest Fireline from Butt to Butt. I furl the leader so it shrinks 10% to get a 14 feet leader.

Sorry for my poor language,
    Soren

Thanks for posting, Soren!

Kat

+ Reply to Thread