+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to epoxy?

Default Re: How to epoxy?

peregrines -I thought the clouser one was more for imitating minnows/baitfish ? Am I wrong?

I used plastic eyes one that top one so I assumed it wouldnt sink too fast...wadda ya think?In case you didnt notice the center of the eyes is Sparkle body flourescent Chart..
    As for the menhaden imitation - I had thought the same thing .

Ill go searching the hardware stores for some better epoxy I can mix .
    I use a stainless steel dental tool to mix and apply the epoxy do you think that is ok?

I'll add a few things I've found about working with epoxy to the already excellent info in this thread.

1) a pad of post-it notes is an excellent disposable mixing pallet for small batches of epoxy
    2) Sally's Hard as Nails has a solvent in it that will make paint or prismacolor marker run a little. If I've painted the head, I prefer epoxy. Sally's works great over just thread or stick-on eyes.
    3) 5 minute epoxy looks too cloudy/yellowed for my taste. I prefer the look of 30 minute, even if it means waiting longer between coats or tying steps.
    4) A bodkin is a great epoxy stirrer/applicator. Your dental tool will work great, too. Just wipe it clean with paper towel before it dries. If it does dry, steel wool cleans it right up.

And last, but most importantly

5) Don't let your wife catch you getting epoxy on the dining room table.

MM

PS JRA, the clouser minnow is one of the most versatile patterns out there. Since the fly sinks fast and generally hits the bottom hook up, your retrieve can make it look like just about anything.

I'll presume to add to Muddler's post ...

I've done quite a bit of small dose epoxy when making golf clubs so haven't been concerned with color...do all 5 minute epoxies tend to yellow....I currently am using Devcon and it looks pretty clear.

I too use the post-it's though also plain note pads....used to cut up plastic milk cartons.

I use a small finish nail to mix...and apply....I haven't worried about bubbles...is a toothpick better?

Sally's Hard as Nails won't make Acrylic craft paint run or smear....learned that from the good folks here...

Well I'm trying my first epoxy head right now on a BBQ motor I got at a thrift store years ago ...says $3 on it and someone had already mounted it...we'll see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by dockterman
    I've done quite a bit of small dose epoxy when making golf clubs so haven't been concerned with color...do all 5 minute epoxies tend to yellow....I currently am using Devcon and it looks pretty clear.

I use a small finish nail to mix...and apply....I haven't worried about bubbles...is a toothpick better?
    As far as I know, all epoxy will yellow eventually, but the longer curing they are the slower they yellow

Do not use wood to mix epoxy! That's the quickest way to "yellow" there is
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I use the 2 ton (30min Devcon) epoxy you can find at most harware stores for <$3. It is the one with the two tubes connected together! I like it because I can cut the two tubes apart with heavy duty scissors. I then have the two components in two separate syringes. You can measure out small equal amounts easily like this. Also, it is readily available. The 30 min does not yellow as quickly as the 5 min. Also, if you store the flies out of the sunlight they will stay clear longer.

Regards,
    Keith

+ Reply to Thread