+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jim Hatch and the Holy Waters

Default Jim Hatch and the Holy Waters

Well, thanks to the advice of you good folks, I made it out to the Ausable River in Michigan and found The Fly Factory on its banks right in Grayling. It turned out to be an interesting evening. I?d had a lousy couple of days, thanks to a $976 fuel pump repair in my not-very-old Chevy Blazer which sucked up the last of my summer vacation money, so I was ready for an evening of standing knee-deep in a river and throwing bugs.

I walked into the store and asked for a one day non-resident fishing license. The young guy behind the counter was happy to oblige. Figuring I was on a roll, I asked him if he could point me toward a good spot to fish for the evening that might not be too crowded. His response: ?Sure. I?ll trade you a good spot for a fly from your flybox.? So out to my car I went to fetch the box. When I returned with my flies, he looked at them thoughtfully and then he said, ?hrmmmmmm.? ?Yeah?? said I. ?Welllll??..? said he, ?this foam popper right here is going to catch me a big brown tonight after dark.? With that he pointed to the jellybean that Jim Hatch had sent me last winter. ?oh no.. ? I said. ?You can?t have that one - a friend tied it for me. It?s special.? He just grinned at me and shrugged. I pushed the box at him, hoping some hex or beetle or hopper might catch his eye. ?Wellll?..? he said. ?Hrmmm???? said I. ?If you give me that popper, I?ll get you a spot you?ll remember.? I held that jellybean one last time and passed it over. In return, I got directions that sent me down some dirt roads, some dirt paths, and places I won?t even talk about. What a beautiful place to fish. Great stream. I threw a hex.. nothing. Bounced a nymph. Nothing. Switched to a hopper. Nothing. That?s when I remembered my local fly shop guy, Ray. Last summer Ray told me that when it?s hot as blazes out and the fish don?t bite anything, throw out a foam beetle. So I did. I hooked up 3 times. It was glorious and for about two hours I forgot about car dealerships, Chevrolets, and over-priced car parts. So thanks again, Jim Hatch. I guess I got some pretty good use out of that jellybean of yours and, with any luck, so did the guy from the fly factory.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Hey Diane,

Glad to hear the jelly bean got ya a
    good spot to fish.*G* Not to worry though
    as I'll tie ya another next time I'm at the
    bench.*G* Glad you had a good time in spite
    of Mr. Murphy.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Next time your up that way, take one of those jelly beans on over to wakely lake. You will have the warmwater time of your life.

john

Diane;
    Sounds like you were on the Mason Tract on the South Branch.
    Sorry to hear about the fuel pump. I think that was the dumbest thing the auto companies ever did. Put it in the gas tank!!
    Glad to hear you had a nice welcome and good time fishing in Michigan.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Blog Entries

man oh man, that is one of the most compelling stories I have heard in a while, thanks so much for sharing it.

Just in case anyone else was piqued about the jelly bean like I was, [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/000874.html:753e9]here is jim's post on the pattern[/url:753e9].

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:753e9]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:753e9]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

Diane

Bravo! Nice story. Isn't something how things have a way of working themselves out? Who'd of thunk it that Jellybean bug Jim sent you would turn out to be so valuable?

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Great little story about the impact of FAOL on your fly-fishing. Those dremmel bugs are really cool. My hat's off to JH for his craftsmanship with those...and his willingness to share them.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

Diane, I just know that this is the year the pig fly is going to catch me something. Now I know it doesn't have to be a fish!

Has anyone caught anything on a pig fly yet? I have been too hesitant about losing mine to use it, but I did 'tie' up one of my own. I still need to give it a try. Haven't made it out this year too many times however.

Don
    Don Rolfson

if the "pig" fly is the same thing as the Nixon pigboat thing, yes indeed I've caught stuff on them. Nice bass. Tied my in yellow with a bit of a yellow zonker tail and palmered body with the rubber legs over the whole thing. Breathes well under water. Excuse me, what I meant to say was it pulsates underwater. Also recommend you tie it weedless. Less frustrating, and if you're stripping it in short, puslating strips, you'll likely hang up somewhere. JGW

+ Reply to Thread