+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerning Electric Trolling Motors?

Default Concerning Electric Trolling Motors?

If I have a 24# thrust electric trolling motor that pushed a boat X mph, and I replace it with a 48# thrust motor, will it push the same boat in the same conditions 2X mph?
    Also, will a 48# thrust motor draw twice the power as a 24# motor from the same battery?
    I need to upgrade my trolling motor and I'm curious what to look for.
    Thanks,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Re: Concerning Electric Trolling Motors?

Where the other one was full throttle to go Xmph burning battery this one will take it no sweat and use less power doing the same Xmph.
    Correct me if I am wrong on that one, But I think it's right.

Joe,
    Please tell me WHAT Price range are you looking at?????
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Lotec;
    You'll gain some speed but the real difference will be powering into a current or headwind.

DShock,
    Hi Doug. I'm sorry I can't respond with a PM but something is keeping me from doing so. So, I'll post publicly. Darn it. Here is what I'm looking for and thinking of.

Hi Doug,
    Because of my continuing failing legs, I've been seriously leaning toward fishing from my jon boat lately instead of stumbling along the rocks in a freestone river. I have a 24# thrust and was wondering how much I would have to save up to be able to get a 48#-55# thruster. I haven't figured on a price yet, but because I'm me, cheaper is the best bet. If I could get a good running used 50#'er for less than $100, I might bite.
    Do you have something to offer? If so please let me know what you expect in the way of price. Thanks for your interest and as always, it's great to hear from you.
    Also, are you planning to attend the Idaho Fish-In. It would be a great place to tie up with you again. And, with the recent rain, it looks like campfires and BBQ's may be allowed again this year.
    God Bless, and let's meet again.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Dear Joe,

Bass Pro Shop had their own branded 54 pound thrust tiller steer trolling motor on sale this June for $ 169.99. The sale started on a Saturday and we had 36 in the store. By mid-day Sunday when we stopped issusing rain-checks we had sold all the motors on hand and had issued 31 rain-checks. That price was about half what you can typically expect to pay for a 50 plus pound thrust motor.

Maybe they have them back in stock?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech
    DShock,
    Hi Doug. I'm sorry I can't respond with a PM but something is keeping me from doing so. So, I'll post publicly. Darn it. Here is what I'm looking for and thinking of.

Hi Doug,
    Because of my continuing failing legs, I've been seriously leaning toward fishing from my jon boat lately instead of stumbling along the rocks in a freestone river. I have a 24# thrust and was wondering how much I would have to save up to be able to get a 48#-55# thruster. I haven't figured on a price yet, but because I'm me, cheaper is the best bet. If I could get a good running used 50#'er for less than $100, I might bite.
    Do you have something to offer? If so please let me know what you expect in the way of price. Thanks for your interest and as always, it's great to hear from you.
    Also, are you planning to attend the Idaho Fish-In. It would be a great place to tie up with you again. And, with the recent rain, it looks like campfires and BBQ's may be allowed again this year.
    God Bless, and let's meet again.
    Joe,
    I wanted to know what price range you were looking for because I will be happy to do some research for you!
    I'm pretty good at it and I have plenty of time!
    Are you looking for a motor that can run a long time or a motor that is powerful?
    I'll see if I can find a used 50 lb!
    Joe, I'm NOT going to kid you, I would Love to go to the Fish-In, BUT I am on a very tight SS budget and I would have to win some kind of Lottery!
    I miss seeing you and the gang! I will be getting my pension Oct. 08 and that could help me financially.
    The Good News is that I'm happier than I've ever been and I love where I'm living!
    I'm the Volunteer Security Guard/Litter Picker Upper/Person Who Everyone Gripes Too! at my Apartments. OH! and the Person who calls 911
    I'll see what i can dig up on your motor!
    Take Care!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech
    If I have a 24# thrust electric trolling motor that pushed a boat X mph, and I replace it with a 48# thrust motor, will it push the same boat in the same conditions 2X mph?
    Also, will a 48# thrust motor draw twice the power as a 24# motor from the same battery?
    I need to upgrade my trolling motor and I'm curious what to look for.
    Thanks,
    Those are good questions....I hope someone can specifically answer them.....

As I understand it a 48# trolling motor will not give twice the top speed as a 24# motor. The top speed of a trolling motor is set by the pitch of the propeller and they just aren't made for speed. There are a few companies that are making electric motors that equal a small outboard. One such company is located in Cape Coral, Fl. If you search the web there are also several people out there that are converting small outboards over to use an electric motor. As with anything electric the main problem is still the batteries.

Rusty <><

Joe,
    Do not get a expensive Deep Cycle Batt!!! Like Optima.
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread