+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Rabbit just that?

Default Is Rabbit just that?

Hare's mask, zonkers, packaged dubbing etc. It isn't just plain old cottontail is it? My wife and I were discussing this and I didn't think it was, but I so far have been unable to find any facts on the subject. I mean it is called Hare's mask not rabbit mask right?

Default Re: Is Rabbit just that?

A hare is different than a rabbit If I remember right.
    But the zonkers and dubbings are just regualr rabbit, and hares ear dubbing is from a hare not a rabbit.

Rabbit Info!!!!!
    50 SPECIES!!
    http://www.petwebsite.com/rabbits/rabbit_species.htm

Including;
    Little Bunny Foo Foo
    Jack-a-lope
    The Energizer Bunny
    Easter Bunny
    Velveteen Rabbit
    Peter Rabbit
    The Hare (The Tortoise & the Hare)
    Bugs Bunny

ENJOY!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Velveteen Rabbit: Velvety smooth dubbing. I don't know what color the velveteen rabbit was supposed to be but I always pictured sort of a shiny burgundy.
    The energizer bunny would be good for those pink salt water flies, and bugsy would be the perfect shade for an Adams wouldn't he? Or maybe my TV's color was off when I was a kid.

Seriously though is it all just cottontail? In FAOL's fly tying terms it simply states that the mask from a summer killed rabbit is considered especially prized. There is no entry for Hare.

It probably is.... They just make special names for everything so that we fly tiers will see it and go buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    It probably is.... They just make special names for everything so that we fly tiers will see it and go buy it.
    Young Man! You are so amazingly 'Grounded!'
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I have harvested a lot of cottentails and I am reasonably sure that the hares mask you buy in the fly shop are not from a cottontail. Likewise zonker strips. The cottontail is brownish and gray while white fur is used for most zonkers. I would guess that a hares mask found in a store is from either a European hare or is the byproduct of the American meat rabbit industry. Another thing - It sure ain't from a jack rabbit

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius62
    bugsy would be the perfect shade for an Adams wouldn't he?
    Now just hold on there a minute, mister. I'm still much too blond for an Adams and shouldn't be ready for a few years yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagittarius62
    bugsy would be the perfect shade for an Adams wouldn't he?
    Now just hold on there a minute, mister. I'm still much too blond for an Adams and shouldn't be ready for a few years yet!
    BLONDE Adams??? New pattern?
    Doug

I have harvested a lot of cottentails and I am reasonably sure that the hares mask you buy in the fly shop are not from a cottontail. Likewise zonker strips. The cottontail is brownish and gray while white fur is used for most zonkers. I would guess that a hares mask found in a store is from either a European hare or is the byproduct of the American meat rabbit industry. Another thing - It sure ain't from a jack rabbit
    Interesting that I just read in A.K. Best's dyeing and bleaching book where he mentions that if you can get ahold of skins from a meat operation they are generally white and are excellent for dyeing, and making dubbing. A quick search on meat rabbits reveals that two breeds are most popular. The Californian, and New Zealand White, both large, mostly white furred rabbits. Interestingly, one website that expounds the virtues of the backyard rabbit ranch, discusses uses for by products. The author mentions furriers, and other places to sell the skins, but no mention of companies like Wapsi or Hareline. They must get their stuff from somewhere. Never been a rabbit hunter except by chance occasionally, but I think I need to start. Locally we have Cottontails, European Hare, and Snowshoes.

+ Reply to Thread