+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Olypic Peninsula

1. Default Olypic Peninsula

Hey,

I am going to be visiting the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State for about a week in early August, would like to do some fly fishing and am seeking some advice. I will be there with my 13 year old son. He is a novice fly fisherman, I am a little more experienced. We would be interested in hiring a guide for half a day of on river instruction. Does anyone have any recommendations? We are going to be on the West side near Forks.

Also, what kind of flies should I be tying up?

Thanks.

2. Default

Yeah, steelhead sound very interesting...I have never fished for steelhead before and this may be my big chance. I don't have a lot of time out there, so I am leaning toward hiring the guide. That may be the best way to optimize both our learning and fishing.

That may well be steelhead country, but in August, I would head for the saltwater at Neah Bay, LaPush or Sekiu. The reason is that both silver and pink salmon will be in that area in strong numbers. They hit flies readily, and if you hit it right, it's a spectacle equal to what you'd see in Alaska.

A guide for that area is Jim Kerr from Port Townsend who just received his 21-foot boat for fishing the big salt. He's also pretty good on the oars of his drift boat and works well with younger clients.

And surprisingly enough, I was able to find his card on my desk-- a short miracle if there ever was one!

His phone number-- 360-301-4559 or go to [url=http://www.jimkerrguides.com:544f1]www.jimkerrguides.com[/url:544f1]

Have fun on your trip. Even if you fish for resident trout, the West End is beautiful at that time of the year.

Keith

If steelhead or sea run cutthroat are on your life list, I can suggest a couple of Oly Penn guides. Both are excellent guides who will bust their *** to put you onto some fish and provide a full service trip at reasonable rates.

Steve Buckner at [url=http://www.northwestflyfisherman.com:266fe]www.northwestflyfisherman.com[/url:266fe] or (503) 939-5819 or

Bob Triggs at (866) 793-3595.

Ron Eagle Elk

I will 2nd Bob Triggs. He can teach you more about Sea Run Cutts in a day then you can learn in years on your own. Never used him myself but know many that have and all were very happy with him. I meet him a couple of times at diffrent wild fish benifits and he is one heck a good guy. Bob may never get rich in cash guiding, What guide in Washington state ever does, but he is rich in spirit, who spends he free time giving back to the sport he makes his living from.

+ Reply to Thread