+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the Cumberland River in KY

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default Fishing the Cumberland River in KY

Hi folks,

I might be taking a little family vacation in a couple of weeks and head down to Cumberland Lake in Kentucky. We'll most likely be staying at some resort on the lake itself.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Cumberland Tailwater fishery, but wonder how close to the dam the decent fly fishing starts?

I'll only have a morning that I can sneak away to fish so the shorter the drive means the longer the line is in the water.

I have sone a little searching in the archive - but couldn't find any past post about it - so I figured I ask the question. Any suggestions from this esteemed group?

Thanks!

Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Default Re: Fishing the Cumberland River in KY

Jim,

Hope you're aware of the draw down of the lake because of problems with the dam. You might want to check out the web site below to get some additional information before you go.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/WolfCreek/

They to are having hot dry weather. I understand the daily discharges are around 1000 cfs. I don't know how this translates into something usable from a fishing prospective. Maybe someone local will respond and can provide a more detailed report. Just wanted you to be aware of the situation and conditions. Good Luck.
    Joe Bertolini

THANKS JOE!

Man - I sure do love having a fishing buddy that's plugged into what the Corps is doing!

I'll be sure to check on what's going on before we head down...

http://fw.ky.gov/cumberlandtroutupdate. ... h=C101C638

Above is the link to the Cumberland River conditions that the state F&W posted. Things are not as bad as everyone thinks.

One bad thing though is that DIDYMO has been found in the River.

Jim,
    If you have only one morning to fish I would go to a boat ramp called "Helm's Landing" is some what near the dam and unlss there has been some rain and the orps wants to lower the lake level you will probably find some wadeable water there. I have a river john boat with motor and there isn't usually enough water these days to get thru. The TVA web site lists water release schedules and projected releases. Water is currently coming from the very bottom of the lake and is very cold. Don't try to wet wade

http://www.lakeinfo.tva.gov

Hope this helps

Tom

Jim -

Tom is correct in directing you to Helms. I usually wade about every weekend but haven't for the past 3 or 4 weekends because of the heavy river traffic during school vacation period. But that flow should be about over and I am ready to start up again.

The drawn down of the lake hasn't hurt the river fishing, and actually the fishing in the river for those who wade is about as good as it gets. The river is very low, probably as low as I have ever seen it in 12 years, and there is no generating with this drought we find ourselves in, BUT they are pulsing the river and they are taking water from a lower level than the gens normally would, so we are getting colder water but not as much as we really need. The F&G figures from the Dam to Burkesville the fishery will be fine, about 38 miles. They have taken off the slots limits and raised the daily creel limit to 10 from Burkesville on downstream. They do think there is a good chance of a fish kill below Burkesville.

The Lake as you probably know is about 50 miles long, so if you are staying on the Somerset end you will have a very long drive to the river. If you are on the Dam end, like at the Ky State Park and Lure Lodge, then you have about a 30 minute or less drive to Helms, and about that same distance to get to Little Indian Creek, which is another good place to fish, but is usually very busy due to being located within the Dam complex and Kendall Campground. I highly suggest Helms.

If you are interested in trying to hook up at Helms, I could show you around that area and enjoy doing it, "IF" we could hook up on the same weekend. It would have to be a Saturday for me, and once in a great while I can work in a Sunday. Send me a PM if you are interested, and we'll work out the details.

If we don't hook up be sure and try to land at Helms at least for a little while, it is a great place for Bows and Browns.

Bob
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

Jim - Sorry - forgot to add this:

http://www.lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakei ... =View+data

The above link will provide the generator schedule for Wolf Creek Dam on the Cumberland. As I mentioned they have generated very little since earlier spring but nothing is for certain when it comes to the schedule. Check it the day before you go to the river just to make sure they are not putting any gens on line during the time you are in the river. Usually no problem even if they only put one on, but you want to know what to expect. The schedule is usually available in the afternoon for the next day.

If you don't have a PC with you, you can call the following number and hit the prompts to get the schedule:

800-238-2264 - Hit #4 - hit #3 - Hit #4 and then hit the # sign. You can listen to the prompts or you can hit the above numbers in a row without waiting. Hesitate about a second between the numbers.

Good luck with the river - you will enjoy it.
    Bob
    Bob

hey Bob - THANK YOU and everyone else for the info!

As soon as I know when we go I'll definitely PM you with contact info.

I also appreciate the info about what part of the lake to stay on...we're still trying to find a cabin/condo/resort that will have enough to keep a 2 year old interested!

Thanks again to everyone for the info and I'll keep you posted as details firm up.

Jim

Blog Entries

From what I heard a week or two ago, it is only good for about the first 40 miles below Wolf Creek Dam. I haven't been up there, so I can't give you a first-hand report.

Ed

Jim -

No problem..... Send a PM and we'll go from there.

I need to get back down there and try to make my arm lame. OBTW - We are heading out of town the middle two weeks in September, hope your trip is before then.

EdD - I'll bet you're correct on what you heard about the first 40 miles below the Dam. I haven't heard anything about the river conditions below Burkesville, but I'm betting it's getting hammered with the new regs that are in place.

Jim - If we can't connect this time send me a PM anyway and I'll write you about where I would reccommend fishing around Helms Landing and you can go from there.

Have a safe vacation.
    Bob
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread