+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hurricane

Default Hurricane

As, Lady Fisher requested in her opening article "Bad Things Happen"; We survived Dennis OK. Fortunately by the time it hit us here in Meridian, MS (Hickory is only 17 miles west) it had lost a lot of it's strength and we suffered only a lot of rain and some wind. Our only problem is the water table is so high that we had water come in through the weep holes in the bricks. Our house is built on a slab. My wife is slowly gaining on it and I have devised a plan on how to keep it from happening again.

Now to get ready for Emily.

Let's hear from you folks down around the Florida and Alabama coast. Is every one OK?

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

Good to hear from you, Mike. Keep your hatchet sharp and your powder dry.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

Other than draining 8 + inches of rain out of the pool & replacimg the 2 blue tarps on the shed( from Hurricanes Charleys'wrath ) that were ripped by 50 MPH winds; not much damage except the lawn will have to be mowed every 2 days ! Great exercise for snookin' on the beach !

There were a few small trees down in a couple of yards on my street. One was lying partially in the road, but other than that all is well!!!

I am in Valdosta, Ga. right now. I am thinking about stopping in Pensacola on my way home to surf fish. From what I hear all is pretty much well there also.

Wooly,
    I know this is off the fly fishing/hurricane subject, but is there a good Wildlife Management Area near Natchez, Ms where I can hunt Turkeys this spring? My wife is from Natchez.

AC
    Birmingham, Alabama

Well I guess Im as close to ground zero as as you can get with out taking a direct hit. It missed by just a few miles. The beach front of course took a pretty good lick, thats to be expected. The buzz word here is; "It could have been so much worst." The speed that it came thru had a lot to do with mitagating damage. At near 15 miles per hour it seem over in no time. There is going to be a lot cleaning up to do, so whats new. Only one death here has been reported so far as I know,(tree fell on a car). Still one too many and our harts go out to the family. On a brighter note the relief coordenation is some thing to marvel at, thoes guys had to be sitting in the starting blocks waiting for the go signal. I swear the crews were here befor the wind died down. On a personal note Id like to thank all the folks that expressed concern and held a good thought for us who chose to live on the windy side. Maybe Ive been hit by one too many Clauser minnos or just getting on in years, but Ive become convinced that good thoughts have power beyound tangable measure. Outside of our obvious lack of driving skills without benifit of stop lights, we're all doing ok putting things back in order and even some loose speckulation of how the fishing will be, post hurrican.

------------------
    Captn. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Cap'n Paul, I must admit to being one of those thinking about you, and I'm with you on the power of positive thought....glad you made it OK.

acorbino, I will check and send you an e-mail.
    I love Spring turkey hunting. Maybe we can hook up.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

Paul,

I spect you had a lot of us rooting for
    you and your neighbors. It made my day
    hearing that you fared so well at ground
    zero so to speak. After a similar experience with Hugo back when, my heart
    jumps in my throat when I see them coming
    in and stays there till I know everyone is
    OK. Thanks! Warm regards, Jim

Here in Palmetto FL we were merely brushed. Our good fortune was others bad luck. We were on the road for the last three weeks and missed all but the dregs of Cindy and drove between bands of Dennis after its landfall.

------------------
    aka Cap'n Yid.

Stev Lenon, 91B20'68-'69
    When the dawn came up like thunder

+ Reply to Thread