+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Teaching Flyfishing

Default Teaching Flyfishing

Two articles this week about teaching, Chris' and Capt Yates. Both were good reads.

It got me thinking about the teaching I do. The one thing that I find hardest about teaching is remembering what not to say. There is so much a teacher knows compared to a new student in particular and if we try and impart too much information its a circuit overload and the student gets that dazed and confused look on his/her face.

I always need to remind myself to just concentrate on one or two things at a time. The student will get them and they've got the rest of their fishing career to learn the rest.

Question to you teachers, what is the hardest thing you have to work on to improve your teaching?

jed

Default Re: Teaching Flyfishing

Hiya Jed!

Especially if folks who already have "muscle memory" of a "bad habit", the hardest for me is singling out THE #1 element to mention.

I'm quite often with people for 1 single day, so I want them to come away with some improvement. (if that is what they want). If I start asing them to "improve" on more than 1 ro maybe 2 elements at a time, they start thinking TOO much and teh whole cast goes to pot.

I'll often hesitate before commenting on something. The fine tuning is just a difficult as teaching a rank beginner.

ps : Big Hug to J.
    Christopher Chin

Hi right back at ya! Joan is out tonight but I'll give her a hug from you as soon as she returns. She's busy making the world a better place.

I agree that teaching an experienced fisherman is as hard or harder than a rank beginner. Not only do you need to teach but you need to "un-teach" as well. I remember something my kid's teacher once told me (actually more than once). Accentuate the positive. Focus on what is right and if the student does that it will often spread to some of the things they are doing "wrong".

Joan and I talk about Quebec often and we will return. Not this year, but hopefully next. Last night we were talking about our upcoming trip to North Carolina for family (and some fishing of course). Our trip is about 12 hours over two days. Joan said 6 hours in NJ or going down I95 uuuggghhh. Now if it was 6 hours along the Saguenay, that would be fine. To those who are reading this and looking for a wonderful trip consider visiting the St. Marguerite and the Saguenay area. It is the best of being in a foreign country with good fishing and great guides

love to your fam as well.

jed

ps Joan just returned and gave a hug right back at you.
    jp

Hide sight is 20/20, but thats why I see so well.

The best teachers I have had didn't let me know I was being taught until the lesson was learned.

As the student, I didn't think as much and learned much quicker. When one on one, I try (and thats a big one) to teach the same way.

PS

I didn't read the articles, but I will now.

I've enjoyed more than a few hours with folks who were trying to improve their casting in some way. I realized long ago that I can not teach anyone to cast or improve any ones casting. They do that to themselves. I do take very seriously my role as an observer and to point out ways which may make line control better for them. To allow anyone to practice poor casting habits would be a bad thing and I try very hard not to let that happen, but to offer suggestions as soon as possible. Often it will be some seemingly very small element, that when changed, will make a very noticeable difference in the final result.

And what distinguishes the master teacher is being able to find that one small thing that if corrected will make all the difference in the world.

jed

JC,
    I do take very seriously my role as an observer and to point out ways which may make line control better for them.
    ... and that's what you taught me about teaching
    Christopher Chin

Hey Jed,

I have only in part have ever taught fly fishing to one person. My brother. I am in part self taught.

That said I have taught, or coached as it were, football and baseball to the senior high school level and the hardest thing for me to do was to evaluate talent. Once you find what kind of talent a person has you have to teach within that person?s ability.

Make sense? Not everyone that wants to play or do something will be an ?A? player it dose not matter how long they practice it?s not in their ability. So you as a teacher would be spinning your wheels to teach them ?A? player techniques. But you can make a person a top notch player in their own ability.

But everyone starts out with this is a ball. This is how we hold the ball??.. If you have the blank look at this point it?s gonna be a long day.

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

+ Reply to Thread