+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Comments?

Default Any Comments?

The Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum has announced the inductees into the Hall Of Fame this year. They are Preston Jennings, Julia Fairchild, Robert Redford, Marty King and Norman Maclean.

Who is Marty King? Julia Fairchild?
    Preston Jennings was a wonderful creative fly tier; Maclean wrote one novella about fly fishing, did he write or do anything else for fly fishing?
    Redford produced "the movie" any other fly fishing credit to his name?

Has the Museum run out of 'important' names to honor?

Default Re: Any Comments?

2004 Inductees
    Bob jacklin
    Gary LaFontaine
    James Leisenring
    Helen Shaw
    Joan Stoliar
    Don Zahner

2006 Inductees
    Charles Orvis
    Mary Ellen (Orvis) Marbury
    Zane Grey
    Bob Nastasi
    Al Caucci
    Harold Demarest
    Keith Fulsher

I think it is a Classic case of bad Inductee management!
    I looked on Google for Marty & Julia and big surprise! No one has heard of them!
    As far a Robert R. & Norman M., well their flyfishing careers speak for themselves!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Maybe they should stick to inducting one person a year so they don't run out of them so quickly.

Rusty <><

Sort of reminds me of the Baseball Hall of Fame; the bar just keeps getting lower.

Who lookin' good for next year...
    • *Walt Dette's cousin's sister

*Brad Pitt

*The Hardy Girl

The Hardy Girl...hmmmmm??

I can see Norman Maclean. Even though it was one novel, it was a very good one that had a distinct impact on fly fishing.

Redford? Does he even fly fish? I know he made "the movie" (out of Maclean's book), but does he even fly fish?

I've never heard of some of these others.

Maybe this is a fundraising move? Perhaps Redford is writing them a big check.

I have no idea who those other two are, either.

Deezel Guest

List of 2007 inductees:

Preston Jennings

Robert Redford

Norman Maclean

Lou Tabory

Julia Freeman Fairchild

Martin Keane

Redford's contribution was the result of 'Unintended Consequences'. Good movie but certainly not worthy of 'Hall of Fame' status. Maclean wrote a novela that was very good but again, not worthy of this honor. Ms Fairchild founded the Women's Fly Fishers but, and all sexism aside, who cares? Tabory writes but I don't know any specific influence he's had. I'm not familiar with Keane.

Why the Museum has a criteria of 6 inductees per year may have been needed when the 'Hall' was started, but that criteria is no longer necessary. The Museum has lowered the status of the 'Hall' and is doing a disservice to previous inductees by lowering the standard to meet outdated criteria.

Oh, and for the record, a person who had more to do and a greater impact of flyfishing than all but Jennings has not yet been recognized and is not an inductee. That man's name is George L. Herter. His involvement: catalogs, books, catalog sales, promotional efforts, etc. in flyfishing, fly tying and camping effected more people on a national/international scale than most.

I am really disappointed with this years inductees. However, the CFFC & M will probably reap some good benefits.

Deezel

Quote Originally Posted by Deezel
    I'm not familiar with Keane.
    Marty Keane is a collector, seller and historian of classic bamboo rods. His book, "Classic Rods & Rodmakers" is considered the bible of the history of the masters of split bamboo rods.

I don't know whether I feel his contributions to the sport are worthy of inclusion although I have bought a few rods from him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But like all things historical; sometimes things do get hysterical.

I used to be a member of the CFFC & M when it first opened but haven't had much interest since. I do feel that the emphasis SHOULD be on the Catskills or Northeastern Fly Fishing history and contributions from persons to that legacy; not the sport at large. I don't know if that conflicts with the mission statement or not but why call it the CATSKILL Center if it does?

Once you've already honored the Darbee's, Dette's, Stoliar's, Schweibert's, Gillium's, Garrison's, Leonard's, Thomas', Carpenter's, Van Putt's, Leiser's, Zern's, Gordon's, Deren's, Flick's and the rest I neglected; it wouldn't be such a bad thing to stop or wait until someone other than a has-been movie star or one hit wonder author comes along.

It isn't such an amazing thing to consider that in a sport where many feel nothing is new; it might be appropriate to honor the pioneers or those that truly made a big difference and not just the next schmo who writes a book or publishes a few articles; just to fill an annual need to "honor" someone.

JMHO

I am asking this question in all seriousness; Is it possible that the Catskill people wanted to induct previous inductees before they passed on?? Why else would they need to have such large groups of them?
    I know there were exceptions to that idea.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Deezel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Is it possible that the Catskill people wanted to induct previous inductees ...
    Doug
    HUH?

I am dissapointed in some fo the names.
    This is part of the reason that I have never joined.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread