+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting back tip for nymph line

1. Default cutting back tip for nymph line

I fish a 5 wt line with indicator and weighted nymph. No split shot. Would cutting
    back the tip of the line 18 inches or so make the line turn this rig over better?
    Lines like 444, Wonderline, Ultra 4.Trying to get more kick out of the lines I have without buying a nymph line. Suggestions?
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

Maybe. If you are going to try it, I would recommend doing it in 6" increments.

That being said, I have a WF4F SA line that I lost the front 15' of and it still casts fine. Dang salmon.

Dennis

Rather than cut up a good line, Go down and buy a good quality level line. it will work well for what your doing and they are about 10 or 15 bucks for a good one. It will turn over your riggen and the bigger diamiter will float better than the tip of a tapered line.

Rich

Henderson,
    Rich Ward has my vote.

Ol' Bill

Rich has the best idea.

Level lines have been pushed to the back of the shelf, ... I don't know why.

After you hack up a tapered line, ... you just know a buddy will drop by needing to borrow a line and that'll be the one you just trimmed.

That said, ... there is nothing that says you CAN'T trim back a tapered line. I do ... I have some really old DT's that I cut back 10 ft to help newcomers "feel" the rod load, without over lining the rods.

Helps alot (imho).

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

henderson,

I preface the comment below with these words. I really don't know much about lines, their tapers and the length of the taper.

Having said that, let's see: You're considering cutting back a $35-50 (roughly) line to reduce the length of taper so it will turn over easier with heavy nymphs. A good level line can be gotten for about $10.
    Gotta agree with Rich W. Save the tapered line and buy one that's level.

Of course, if the one you have is a double tapered line, you could cut it in half. Use one half for your intended purpose by attaching the tapered end to your backing. Then you can use the other half in a regular manner by attaching the butt(thick) end to the backing of another reel or spool.

Allan

What does it mean to turn over a rig??? i am pretty new to ff'ing and do not understand this.

------------------
    That being said.... Lets fish.

I suggest you learn to cast that rig with the line you have. You may have to open up your loops a bit and try and generate more power with your backcast. This will help you in the long run and make you appreciate a nymph speific line should you ever get one.

A few years ago I was given a regular peach 444 9wt line that I tried using to cast large salt water flies. Not being a SW taper it didn't work very well 'till I cut back the tip around 8 inches.
    If it were me, and I had the line already, I'd go for it. Just not 18", 6 or 8 inches would be plenty.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

10. Default

Dudley- Thank you for answering my question.

+ Reply to Thread