Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Think You have problems? (Not Flyfishing)

Default Think You have problems? (Not Flyfishing)

This story is not about flyfishing but about taking responsibility for your life. I believe bad money management is one of the worst things in the world. It destroys marriages and ruins lives. How can we learn before it's too late?

Debt A Bitter Pill For Future Doctor
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Yo ... &GT1=10330
    click on Full Story (above featured tool)

I would like to know what you think of the story!
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Re: Think You have problems? (Not Flyfishing)

Compare it to her starting salary and then to the salary she will be making in 5 years. From that viewpoint it is not so bad. I don't see alot of doctors going into the poor house or suffering in their retirements.

The system of eduation and the costs involved is out of wack. I am much more concerned with the teacher that has to borrow for four years of college and then starts at $30,000 per year. That is the real tragedy.

jed

And then there's the proverbial " working your way through college". This usually, as in my case, doesn't solve the problem of student loans but does help in keeping the outstanding balances " in balance". Pre-med and Medical school are another color horse. These courses are expensive to begin with lab fees etc. and require more study time than some other less demanding career choices. More study time means less time to "work your way......". In the cited story, it seems Tara was clearly out of control and needed financial counseling all along her educational way.

Mark

Doug- My friend has completed his medical training and is now employed in his chosen profession. His first years salary exceeds that of the debt incured by the lady in the article.

Tim

Blog Entries

And then there's the proverbial " working your way through college". This usually, as in my case, doesn't solve the problem of student loans but does help in keeping the outstanding balances " in balance"
    In the 1960's you could work a half time job at minimum wage and pay your tuition and books etc. now it would take a full time and a half time job at minimum wage to pay for the same things. So much for working your way through college.

I talk daily into students going to school full time, working two jobs and takeing out loans just to survive.

This is one of those somthing has to be done things.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Normally I wouldn't post a story that was so removed from fishing but I don't ever remember seeing anything like this Lady's problems. I have had a bad attitude about kids going into college debt to start their lives but this is amazing!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

As someone else pointed out, the problem isn't really the doctors making 6 figures and having to repay $200-300k in student loan debt that is the social danger. The social danger is the police officer, school teacher, banker, accountant, artist, journalist, musicians, and so forth who have to have degrees to even pretend to be competitive, and those degrees cost $100k to $200k to get, and the jobs pay $20-30k for the first several years. The loan payments are not prorated based on income or earning potential. They are flat-rate for 10-20 years. Assume that a kid gets 50% of a $200k education covered by scholarships and grants. That leaves $100k either from relatives or student loans. $100k worth of student loans generate a loan payment of nearly $1000/mo that begins 6 months after college graduation. This kid with a great education, tons of potential, who has worked hard and stayed out of trouble lands a "good job" in their chosen profession paying $36k/year at age 22-3. No benefits for the first year, btw. That's $3,000/mo. Take away the debt payment, and that leaves $2,000/mo before taxes...which is actually about $1,600/mo after taxes. That good job is ALWAYS in a major city. $1,000/mo for rent and utilities doesn't buy you much. That leaves $600. Need a car? $300/mo MINIMUM. Need to eat? That's averaging $400/mo for single person who is frugal and eats meals at home nowadays. So this kid is already $100/mo in the RED and doesn't even have a newspaper subscription, a phone, TV, an internet connection, furniture, health insurance, or clothes to wear to work.

THIS is the reality for about 80% of college graduates in America nowadays...the ones who GET employed in their field within 6 months of graduation. I hear that only about 1/2 actually do.

FYI, a police officer in my hometown needs a degree in criminal justice, sociology, psychology, or criminology to be competitive. He can get that degree from community college for about $50k if he's really, really frugal. Starting pay for a local police officer is $13.50/hour...MAX. That's $24,000/year before taxes. Do the math. That's why most of our cops are idiots. Only a moron would embark upon a career plan like that.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I guess I was lucky (in a way). I was drafted and went to the Marine Corps. When I returned from Vietnam, we still had the OLD GI Bill, from WW-II. All I had to do was be accepted into a college (Texas A & M) and the Government paid for everything; books, tuition, lab fees, housing, and even a monthly stipend to pay for expenses like gas, car insurance, food. It was not a loan. I payed for it by risking my hide.

I think that's the way it should be, at least if you served in combat. I would've never been able to go to A & M on my own. It was one way that a person of modest means could get an education. My father got his degree at SMU after WW-II. He served as a Coast Guard Bombadier/Flight Engineer on a PBY Catalina and fought in the Battle of the North Atlantic. He really came from a poor Depression-Era family, and that was his ticket to a good education.

Our Government spends so much money on very questionable pursuits, miilions per week, and yet, a person of decent character and high intelligence cannot get an education, unless they are able to get access to several thousands of dollars, and go in debt before they even really enter the work force.

There should be a better system in the Land Of The Free. Anyone who is able, qualified and has the desire, should be able to go to some college, and either the Government or Private Industry should fund it. After all, who benefits from an educated population?.....WE ALL DO! I realize there are scholarships, but they are only open to a select few who meet thier criteria. Not nearly enough to go around.

I would just as soon my Tax money go to pay for someone's education, than for most of the useless junk they do with it now.

Semper Fi!

A-----MEN!!!!!
    My Dad was able to attend Willamette University on the G.I. Bill. Without that Bill, it wouldn't have happened.
    Dad served in the Navy in WW2. He went from a scared kid in Basic Training (Had to jump off a tower into water, he didn't know how to swim in), to a College educated Chemist and a FINE Father!!
    Looking back on my young married days, isn't LIFE enough of an Adventure without going into Debt up to your eyeballs, right at the beginning???
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    Our Government spends so much money on very questionable pursuits, miilions per week, and yet, a person of decent character and high intellegence cannot get an education, unless they are able to get access to several thousands of dollars, and go in debt before they even really enter the work force.
    I have tried several times to write a reply to this statement, and cannot do so without the passion rising within me. I will defer so I don't lose my posting privileges or ruffle the feathers of anyone who believes the government is really there to help us.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Closed Thread