+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sampling Insects in lakes

Default Sampling Insects in lakes

What is the best way to sample the insect life in a lake. Specifically one that doesn't lend itself to wading and scooping along the shore line.

Default Re: Sampling Insects in lakes

You mean you can't net them from the shoreline?
    wow thats strict. my local lake is pay to play(fly club membership) and it doesnt allow you to wade but it does allow nets and stuff.

anyways, can you just sneak a small aquarium net into the place?
    if you dont wanna risk that then you can do what I sometimes do.....get down and put ur hands in the water and stir up the mud and then put your hand at the bottom and wait for nymphs to fall into your hand.

also another thing is to look in the spider webs on the grass or in the trees. That will tell you what's going to be hatching and chances are you know a nymph that will mimic it.

Bugs have taken on new meaning since taking up fly fishing.

They were just something to swat before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Bugs have taken on new meaning since taking up fly fishing.

They were just something to swat before.
    LOL...yeah and the mosquitoes have been especially brutal here this year.

As for sampling bugs.....most of my lakes I fish have the same bugs...calibaetis, caddis, chiromonids, and damsel flies. A few have scuds as well as leeches. I have never had to sample lakes personally, I just look to see what is flying around...or in the case of scuds and leeches swimming around .
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Sorry, Mark, I feel so inadequate

The best way to sample insects from lakes is to take stomach samples from fish. It might take multiple trips to the lake throughout the year, but we do it for those who can't .
    Stomach pumps, when used properly, will in an unharmful way give a clear indication of insect populations present at any lake.

An idea from Ian Moutter. If you have caught a fish on a fly, why do you need to use a stomach pump?

Does not the fly tell you what the fish are eatting?

Rick

Blog Entries

I watch to see if people are bringing in fish that haven't been cleaned yet and offer to clean their fish for them. I almost never get turned down. This gives me an opportunity to slit open the stomach and examine the contents. That way I haven't injured any fish with an invasive stomach pump nor have I had to kill a fish. ( I know that the proper use of a stomach pump doesn't harm the fish but lots of people use them incorrectly ) The information from the stomachs gives me a head start on deciding which fly to tie on. It just takes a few minutes and gives you a jumpstart over your buddies who have to go out and catch a fish before they can obtain the same info that you got right at the start.

In His book, Brian chan says to put your face right close to the water and look carefully, He says if you almost get your forehead wet you are doing it right.

Another method which I often suscribe to is to take a small amount of lake water into an clear wine glass, swirl it around a little then take a deep sniff, drink in its heady aroma. Now take healthy swig into your mouth. Swirl it around a bit giving it a bit of a chew, then spit it out. This will tell you the year and vintage. A good year will be full bodied and rich in aroma with just a hint of algae. With a little practice you will soon be able to discern the subtle difference between a chronomyd and a damsel fly, you will be able to detect and seperate the heavy taste of a leech from the delicate nutty flavor of a scud.

As an added bonus, I find that this method also serves to keep the game warden and other undesireables well away from you so that you don't have to hang around and answer a bunch of fool questions. Thus leaving you more time to fish in the solitude you desire.

I often fish alone.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Hey Gnu Bee - another advantage to your method is the fact that if accidentally swallowed, the lake water will likely induce a heavy case of "colon blow" and effectively serves to vacuate your bowels and help you lose 5 or 6 pounds in a 24 hour period.

But I do concur with you and Brian Chan (who DEFINITELY knows his bugs!)...put your face down in the water - or even get a snorkel mask to do it so you can get a very close look at what's in the water column.

I read that when looking at bugs - you need to get "nose close" - the same distance that a trout will get. Look at all the details, shape, size, color, etc and then select the fly. If you're fishing dries, hold it up and look at the underside too.

So, while a net is ideal, there are ways to get a good look at what's there without one.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z
    An idea from Ian Moutter. If you have caught a fish on a fly, why do you need to use a stomach pump?

Does not the fly tell you what the fish are eatting?

Rick
    Not always, most flies will catch fish, some will only catch the occasional fish while others will catch more fish more often. The more fish more often fly is the fly you are looking for. That is why we do bug searches.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread