+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise where to fish for trout in Boston area

Default Need advise where to fish for trout in Boston area

Hi guys,

I have a trip coming at the end of August to Boston, MA. I was wondering where can I get some good trout fishing in the area (no more than 2h away from Boston). I do not know the area at all. I have never been there. So everything is going to be new. I'll get a rod atlas to navegate in the country side and find the good waters.
    My rod is 5wt with floting line. I have plenty of flies (any color and size!) but I have no clue what is going on on the last days of August and first of September. I may have between 1 to 3 days to fish (wife will decide )
    Any advise about rivers/creeks and patterns to bring would be very much appreciated

Martin
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

Default Re: Need advise where to fish for trout in Boston area

I can give you some places that are about 2 hours away. Lets wait to see if you get any closer places. IF not send me a PM and I'll spill my guts.

jed

I had some thoughts about warmwater fishing, but since you're after trout I'm of not much help. JGW

I recommend the Ausable River in Wilmington, NY, probably 3 hours away. Plenty of pocket water to fish. I have stayed at the Hungry Trout in Wilmington. Comfortable motel, great restaurant and you can walk to the river. They also have a fly shop and the guides are top notch! They are willing to put you into areas that hold fish!
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Thanks for the good input.
    The Ausable in NY sound like a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.
    Well I guess that I can put some bass flies in the box too... what the hell!
    Bass are at the end of my lines as offen as trout....

Keep them coming

Jed you have a ms

Martin
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

Normand Guest

boston ma to wilmington ny is 301 miles and a 5 hour drive.

good luck in doing it in 3 hours!

how about saltwater?? good fishing for stripers and blues!

Where are all the bean town fly fishers-----I use to live in Mass. There must be some closer than my old streams the Swift,Westfield,Deerfield,Housatonic or Farmington. I know the Cape has some trout ponds and lower New Hampshire. BILL

There's some fine fishing in Maine.
    Even if you don't fish, the short drive up would be well worth the time when you're in the area
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald
    Where are all the bean town fly fishers-----I use to live in Mass. There must be some closer than my old streams the Swift,Westfield,Deerfield,Housatonic or Farmington. I know the Cape has some trout ponds and lower New Hampshire. BILL
    anything closer to beantown is LOW, SLOW, AND WARM right now. even on the cape ponds the fish are DEEP.

Quote Originally Posted by malevo
    Hi guys,

I have a trip coming at the end of August to Boston, MA. I was wondering where can I get some good trout fishing in the area (no more than 2h away from Boston). I do not know the area at all. I have never been there. So everything is going to be new. I'll get a rod atlas to navegate in the country side and find the good waters.
    My rod is 5wt with floting line. I have plenty of flies (any color and size!) but I have no clue what is going on on the last days of August and first of September. I may have between 1 to 3 days to fish (wife will decide )
    Any advise about rivers/creeks and patterns to bring would be very much appreciated

Martin
    Not sure how well seasoned you are in your marriage, or if your bride even likes to fish, but I have learned after 35 years with the same (and only) woman, that NOT all vacations need to include fishing. You can often make more points by doing something SHE would like to do, instead of making time to do things YOU want to do. That being said, if BOTH of you want to go fishing, by all means look for a place that's both productive and romantic. Last year I took my bride to a B&B on the McKenzie River in Oregon (Eagle Rock Lodge), and I'll leave it by saying SHE had a divine time. I selected the most expensive room and we dined on fresh peach smoothies at breakfast. That little kindness bought me two trips to Michigan and one to PA with my fishing buds, and she didn't even flinch when I asked. Hope this helps.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread