+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orvis CFO fly reel - opinions please

Default Orvis CFO fly reel - opinions please

I'm considering a new Orvis CFO III fly reel. I'm looking for opinions from anyone that has one or has used one. Specifically the new non-english made one. I've looked at the reel and even though its made overseas (China or wherever) it still seems really well made. And I do like the traditional looks of the reel and it is pretty light and would balance out my sage slt pretty well. Plus I love the sound it makes.

I would appreciate any opinions good, bad, or otherwise. I've never owned an Orvis product at all.

thanks in advance,

Greg

Default Re: Orvis CFO fly reel - opinions please

From what I read they moved all the machinery from England to where they're being made now. Same materials too. I think the reel is still good.

I can't comment on the reel but I can on Orvis...

...exemplary customer service!

Buy with confidence regardless of the detractors. They have always taken good care of me.

The original CFO was designed by Stan Bogdon and made by Hardy (I believe 1972 was the first year) in England for Orvis. The originals were click pawl...the disc drag was added in the mid 90's. You can tell the early reels by the rivets on the back plate. In the mid 90's Orvis bought BFR (British Fly Reel) and started making CFO's themselves. To a collector the originals are more desireable.
    The pic is of a anniversary addition machined reel from 1992 with spare spool. The darker reel is an older die cast model showing the rivets on the back plate. Both were made by Hardy.
    Orvis has dropped the click pawl CFO in favor of the disc drag...A mistake IMO.

It is probably a good reel. I just cannot bring myself to buy fishing tackle made in China. Earlier this year, I was shopping for a CFO I and found one that the store had in stock that was still made in England. I have owned CFO reels from the earlier Hardy-made period down through the recent models. In some ways, things have cheapened up. The box and the reel case that my last purchase came with seem very cheap in comparison with the quality level that this reel is supposed to sit in. I found the reel foot mounted slightly crooked when I got home from the store and had to straighten it out myself. I also think the spool latch covers on the newer models are cheap looking compared to the machined aluminum on the older models. All in all, they are still very sweet reels, but they should still be making the Hardy-era model unchanged, in my opinion.

I love my 3 CFO's. China has minimal quality problems now. I sell them various commodities, and they are superb copycats. Expect them to be at least as god as the Brit made reels.. Except much cheaper.
    That opinion is unpopular, but true.

I agree. I use the Bronze CFO and no problemo here. They are cool looking.

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but,
    I have and old Scientific angler real that was made in England by the Hardy Bros. Ltd.
    Is it worth anything?? Its a S-A System 5 and it belonged to my father who purchased it back in the early 70's.

I still use mine.

Even Hardy now makes reels in the East so consider that when buying.

+ Reply to Thread