+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heavy Weather

Default Heavy Weather

Wow, it's been hot out here with the temps soaring into the high 90's and low 100's and rising humidity. My bass fishing has been pretty unproductive with poppers, streamers and drys. These days I'm lucky to have a couple of hookups in the hour of fishing I do. If I'm not fighting lightning, I'm dealing with serious heat with the only breaks in the early morning and late evening. Anyone got suggestions(besides moving back to Colorado)?
    Racine

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Re: Heavy Weather

Hey Racine

I can tell you that moving to South Carolina would not solve your problem. We hit over 100 in much of the state today with high humidity. Even the morning temperatures were hot and miserable. Bass fishing and brim fishing were incredibly slow. I'm thinking of a Canada road trip in the near future. 8T

102-103 here today. The bass were hitting like crazy. Of course i was fishing in a spring-fed pond
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Do you have any tailwaters down there? any streams/rivers that run out of a dam?

Usually the water temps stay pretty constant year 'round.

We hit 100 today but the temps at the local tailwater fishery are still in the 50's.

Hope this throws an idea your way...

Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

South MS has some black water creeks that stay pretty cool year round. Red Creek crosses US 49 south of Wiggins, Black Creek crosses north of Wiggins. I believe the name is Silver Creek around Monticello in the community of Stumptown. The Leaf River is over east of Hattiesburg and there a creek up north of Hattiesburg near Collins with an Indian name something like the Okatoma. The Leaf may heat up the others are spring fed and stay pretty cool. There's also the Bogue Chitto and more that I am not really familiar with.

Red and Black Creek run together about 5 - 10 east of the Pascougla River and form Big Black Creek. These have good Red Breast Bream, bluegill, shell crackers and largemouth. You may also happen upon a gar, bowfin or catfish.

I don't know if you like a cool adult beverage when you finish fishing, if you do be very judical about the use of such. The game and fish commission lakes are "No Alcoholic Beverages", State Parks it's okay; Stone County and Covington County are both dry counties to the best of my knowledge, which is not exactly the most up to date.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've not considered the Bogue Chitto but will. The next dam close to me is private property and the next is by a state park; however, the runoff area has gator and is primarily brim fishing with plenty of overhangs. One of my neighbors is suggesting we put a well by our lake to keep the water level up but a few of the neighbors don't want to chip in to the 10K+ cost and maintenance. The well would keep the water temp cool though which is a good idea! Thanks...
    Racine

If you have waded any of the So. MS creeks they are surprisingly cool in the heat of summer. I was in the MSARNG for over 20 years and visited Black Creek at Brooklyn many times, usually just looking to cool off and splash in the water. In July and August it is still cool. I always thought they should put smallmouth in it.

Over west of Collins is Lake Mike Connor. Which has some very nice bluegills and crappie. I am sure the bass are good too, the G&F manage it and do a good job. Bream bed up real deep there. I had a friend break off a crappie at the boat we guessistamted at 3.5 lbs. The largest one I have ever seen.

My info is dated, but I have outside Wiggins who grew up down there. He and his brothers float the Black and Red creeks all their lifes.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks Uncle Jesse,
    Black Creek looks interesting in that I sometimes travel to Poplarville to pursue another pastime but find myself wanting to cool off on the way back to my home in Summit/McComb. Lake Mike Collins is also doable. I appreciate this pearls of knowledge and am grateful.
    Racine

Heat index is pushing 110 here and my lake is down 6+ ft. I packed my rod this morning and headed to my local golf club after work to wet my flyline. Well guess what, it's either spring fed or got a pump bringing in some fresh water as bass and bream are willing to play. I nabbed 4 LMB and 2 brim in 30 min. of fishing till dark put an end to it. I just hope I don't catch flak from some old tennis partners who saw me casting and not serving.

Blog Entries

Here in Texas we finally got our heat. It was extremely late this year, no 100? plus days until August! Not that I am complaining.

The strategy here is to get up in the wee oh-dark-thirty hours and fish in the dark up until about an hour after sunrise at most. That is a productive time and its less hot than it will be. Then, enjoy the rest of the day inside in A/C (while chewing fingernails about the utility bill that is sure to slam home next billing cycle. My last electric bill was $400) and head back out as it starts to get purple and cool down to enjoy fishing as late as you can stand it. Bluegills seem to turn off after dark, too dangerous for bug hunters after dark. But bass and catfish turn on nicely.

http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread