+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to epoxy?

Default How to epoxy?

Im about to start salt fly fishing just as soon as my new 9 wt arrives and im really wanting to try my hand at some epoxy slt flies like the ones I see at the local fly shop. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what to buy and a good source of info online.
    Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but im still a new hand to tying fresh flies as well as fly fishing.

Default Re: How to epoxy?

I am sure the pirates here can help. Check the main board as well. Not being a saltwater fisherman (yet) I have not done a lot of reserach here on FAOL on saltwater stuff. A lot of the westcoast salters look to Dan Blanton's website. Here is a link. http://www.danblanton.com/
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I use Softex instead of epoxy - I like working with it a whole lot better.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

The best thing you can buy is a fly dryer, they make the heads come out perfect everytime and they dry alot while you continue to create more deadly flies
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

Might I suggest you try being a bit more targeted in you information request. What application are you wishing to attempt, is this strickly a head shot of epoxy, the whole wing or body, material your considering useing and perhaps just a general discription of the fly. Its realy reather hard to answer questions without some idea of direction to persue. Capt. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

I use 5 minute epoxy from the hardware store.
    It works great.
    You just have to get the mix right...half and half then mix it well!

do you guys who use epoxy for finishing heads make the mixture and then apply to all of your flies as the finishing step? I can't believe that you mix it up a little at a time for each fly or two.

Yes, Fritz you do them in batches. I use hardware store 5 minute epoxy. I thin it w/ a little rubbing alcohol to thin it a bit and to delay the set time. You just about have to have turning motor to keep it from sagging. If there is any tackiness when the glue has cured then coat it w/ Hard as Nails. You can do about 6 flies per batch of epoxy this way before it sets. Some like to use slower setting epoxy for larger batches of flies.

Slower curing epoxy will not discolor as quickly as the 5 minute stuff, but you will need to use some kind of rotating drying wheel.
    Also use a metal or plastic utensil to mix up the glue. A wooden stick will also cause the epoxy to yellow
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I use " SIG" brand epoxy that I purchase at a model airplane hobby store. It comes in two 2 oz bottles, dont but the two push tube type. With the two bottle I can mix drops for one fly or a large amount accurately. I mix it on paper, using it rod building,flies and in the wood shop. A dryer is easily made from a rotiserie motor and a foam disk from a craft store. Cabelas motor is $25. BILL

+ Reply to Thread