+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: whats everyones kayak???

Default Re: whats everyones kayak???

Currently have 4.
    Wilderness System Pungo (12'1" Classic) - Still my go-to boat for versitility, menuverability and seaworthyness.
    (2) Old Town Loon 138's- Once with Rudder, one without. Great all round yak. Similar in performance as the pungo but is better suited to longer paddles ( due to slightly better hull speed & tracking) and higher weight of gear capacity.
    14' Heritage Sea Dart SOT( with Rudder)- My only SOT left ( after 3 others)- fast, nicely designed/featured SOT that looks like a yak vs a bar of soap A bit tight for fishing but great for paddles where I want to get in/out of the yak routinly.

My ONLY advice is to TRY BEFORE YOU BUY REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU READ FOR REVIEWS.
    One mans' perfect yak is another disapointment! Been there-done that-it's expensive

Kind of late in the game to reply, but I have a Malibu Mini-X, and it has been great on ponds and slow moving streams. Extremely stable, you can sit sidesaddle if you want(1) and pretty good performance in a small yak.
    Bob
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Been checking them out myself and think I'm going to get a Native Ultimate 12.

I am going to be using it mainly on ponds, lakes and slow-moving rivers. The main reason for getting it is it's stability and the ability to stand and fish from it, being mainly a fly fisherman.
    It has covers to make it pretty much waterproof and has a lot of pretty cool options. It also has a much more open layout, kinda like a canoe, leaving more room for you and tackle.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

I have been fishing out of my new Native Watercraft 14.5 Ultimate since June. And it's absolutely the finest paddling/fishing boat I've owned. It's easy to paddle, tracks extremely well, very stable and quiet. Best of all, it's wide open and extremely roomy. I carry a cooler full of ice, food and drinks, milk crate with tackle and rod holders and other equipment.

This is just a great boat (especially for fly fishing) that you might want to check out if you're in the market for a new ride.
    Steve

For the past year I've been using a Coleman's inflatable kayak from Wally World. Cost less than $100...It has 5 chambers and is very sturdy. I pump it up by hand in about 3 minutes and the paddles screw together and work well. The only negative is the cockpit dimensions. I don't think it was designed for anyone over 6 feet who has long legs It ain't fancy, but it gets me "on" the water...

Later...

I have an old perception swing and love it. I guess I have had it for 7 years.

Here are a couple of pics of it rigged and in action.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC00292.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC00197.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/DSC00341.jpg

I don't use mine as much as I used to anymore, but I still love getting out there in it. I still offer kayak guide trips and usually do 3 or 4 a year, but I'm mainly in the jet sled these days.

www.arkansastroutbum.com

I've been reading aboiut this new Freedom 14 Outrigger Fishing Kayak that sounds very interesting indeed. Here is a link: www.freedomhawkkayaks.com

What makes this one different is that it has two outriggers that make it very stable to stand up and cast when stationary and then they fold in while moving. Not cheap, but very cool indeed.

Rick

I have a Heritage 9.5 Featherlite Angler (SINK) and a Heritage Fisherman Pro 14 (SOT).
    I love them both.

Ultimate 12

I've got a Pamlico 100 with the adjustable padded seat, otherwise there's no way I'd sit in a yak for hours on end without feeling like I'd been kicked in the kidneys.

I'm typically on moving water and wont' try to flyfish out of it (big headache) unless I happen to make it to a pond or lake.
    John

+ Reply to Thread