+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exterior Rod Tube for a vehicle - Anyone made one from PVC?

Default Exterior Rod Tube for a vehicle - Anyone made one from PVC?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with making an exterior rod tube for their vehicle. I like the idea of the commercial ones, but not the expense. I was thinking of making one of pvc piping with a small diameter linking to a larger diameter, so I can keep the reels on. The only reason I haven't made one yet is I would like to put a lock on it somehow, but don't have any ideas on how to do that. Any suggestions, plans, do's, or don't do's?

Default Re: Exterior Rod Tube for a vehicle - Anyone made one from PVC?

I'd be worried about the rods sliding inside the tube and getting banged up. Padding at both ends and some non-skid material down the length would help.

As for a lock, a cable lock run through the cap would do alright, but it would be easier for someone to cut the pvc than any lock. Keeping in inconspicuous would be better security, IMHO.

I have done it several ways....but have not addressed the lock issue....since I am [was] only concerned with transporting a fully rigged ...not broken down rod from nearby spot to spot ...lake to lake....here is one way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ ... G_0020.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/ ... G_0019.jpg

You can take the cloth off the end of the commercially purchased rod carrier [which I think is still the best way to carry]...expose the PVC...add a coupling and plug ...so you can still use it normally...but you can add the extension pictured...so now you have a totally enclosed carrier that protects both rod and reel...this can be secured to a roof carrier....

I have done another way with pvc and foam but in that one the reel is not as protected.

Here I go again; neck properly extended...

I don't even use those rod cases that have the pocket for the reel. I found that they seem to promote storing rods that really should not be. Dirty, WET or a guy just gets in a hurry or kinda lazy. If I HAVE to take my reel off, then I probably will not put away a rod in bad condition. That big tube might work great for you guys, probably does, just remember to take care of the rods.
    I had 12 of those combo cases for the school rods, sold them all.

HHhhmm....that is thought provoking, JC...what you say is definitely true...it is very easy for me to leave them in the case till the next time...of course, we are not now talking about the car top carrying things...

However, I've done it for many years and have not discerned a problem....
    Also have a lot of friends that use them...but I don't know how often or soon they break their rigs down.

I just haven't had a problem....I have at times thought that a rod needs cleaning then I do it and it doesn't seem any the worse for wear....I should be a little more compulsive about cleaning my lines I will admit.....I don't really understand though what bad can happen to a stored graphite rod ....had to copy paste those

Thanks for the great tips and pictures. I'll see what I can come up with and fill you in. Might be my winter project. I'm not looking store them, but just get them from home to fishing and back. I would like to be able to go from spot to spot on the river w/o having to shove the rod in my vehicle still set up and not have to break it down every time too.

I was using mine the other day and it occurred to me that some off you who are not familiar with this style might not realize there is very little "breakdown".

All you do is reel the fly to the tip guide..break the rod in half...fold it on itself [with line still strung] and ...inert into the rod and reel holder.

Transport

Pull out ...connect the two halves and you are set to go.

It is pretty simple....

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    I was using mine the other day and it occurred to me that some off you who are not familiar with this style might not realize there is very little "breakdown".

All you do is reel the fly to the tip guide..break the rod in half...fold it on itself [with line still strung] and ...inert into the rod and reel holder.

Transport

Pull out ...connect the two halves and you are set to go.

It is pretty simple....

That's how I carry my spin rods. With fly rods for some strange reason I like breaking them down, putting them in the original tube and the reel in it's case.

Sort of a ritual I can't get away from.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    HHhhmm....that is thought provoking, JC...what you say is definitely true...it is very easy for me to leave them in the case till the next time...of course, we are not now talking about the car top carrying things...

However, I've done it for many years and have not discerned a problem....
    Also have a lot of friends that use them...but I don't know how often or soon they break their rigs down.

I just haven't had a problem....I have at times thought that a rod needs cleaning then I do it and it doesn't seem any the worse for wear....I should be a little more compulsive about cleaning my lines I will admit.....I don't really understand though what bad can happen to a stored graphite rod ....had to copy paste those

Ducksterman, I have several of those reel/rod combo tubes also. My reason is I have several rods, several weights and fish them all, but on occassion have forgot the right reel. Soooo, I went to these combo sets. I do not leave the reel connected to the rod, but it is in the case so no chance of forgetting it.
    My six weights I use the most (3) one is in a single rod /reel case for a 4pc and the other two in a double rod/reel case for a 4pc. Put the reels in the case that I will use and ready to go, nice and easy.
    Cool idea you have for the roof mount. I am not sure I would want to leave my rods in a PVC pipe on the roof in the summer no matter how good of locking system I had however. I have seen PVC pipe rod holders bend from leaving them in a car.

Gramps I copied the link wrong in my last post and have since edited it...would you mind deleting it from the quote in your last post..Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread