+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carp? C&R

Default Re: Carp? C&R

Carp fishing in So. Florida is something special. There is a ficus tree that grows along these Fl. canals that drops a red berry the carp go crazy for. Asain Grass carp (sterilized) stocked to keep down the weeds and algae take this berry like a huge Brown after a Green Drake. these fish average 8-12 lbs and 20-28 inches in length
    My best measured 43 in. estimate wgt 40+lbs. It's illegal to kill these fish so fly fishing is the easiest and practically the only way to catch them. I tye my berrys on a short shank # 10 hook from styrofoam balls and paint to match the natural with fingernail polish.
    I like an 8 wgt. 9' rod with a 12' leader tapered to 8# tippet because these fish are spooky and long casts are usually needed, they don't jump, but they are powerful and put up a good fight. Depending on the size it may take up to 10-15 min. to get one in. These fish are delicate so careful handling with a large net is advised, and try not to remove the fish from the water.

i fish urban waters here in houston (various bayous / drainage ditches / culverts) and carp are one of the few species that can do all right in those not-pristine environments.

actually gets me kinda irked when i see folks chucking them up on the banks to suffocate.

i think that they should at least be humainly killed, not thrown up on the bank to gasp for a while

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    i think that they should at least be humainly killed, not thrown up on the bank to gasp for a while

And I feel that I should be able to boat in my river without me, my family, my dog, and my boat getting covered in slime. Especially by a fish that simply doesn't belong here, and could make a HUGE impact to the food chain and eco system. You can have BIG fish just jumping in your boat all day.

If you haven't experienced this invasive specie, you have no idea of the hassle they provide. People get black eyes and broken noses all the time, and I've heard of worse injuries. Look on youtube for "flying Carp" "Silver Carp" or "bowfishing" and you'll see plenty.

While I'm no heartless person, I have no qualms about killing these vermin by any means possible. Even the DNR guys say that these fish are better in a dump, or used a fertilizer, than in the water.

i'm not sure i'd 'villainize' all carp species because of the jumper.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I gotta find out where these Bigheads are. I'm going to rent a motor boat, put on my motorcycle helmet and power right through them. I wouldn't need an out of state license because no one would consider that fishing, and you obviously can't keep them from jumping in the boat. I would like to do my part in controlling this exciting new resident of the US.

Full contact carp fishing! What a blast!!!!!!!

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread