+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a hook lesson

Default Need a hook lesson

Good day Tyers,

I'm realatively new to the sport, and newer stil to the art of tying flies. I'm starting to compile the necessary items I will need to begin tying my own flies. But, the one thing that is really throwing me for a loop is when it comes to picking the hooks.

All the info that I have been able to gather says, "Get yourself an assoertment of hooks." Now sizes of hooks I understand. What is confusing me is down turned eye vs. straight eye Is there really that much of a difference? What is the purpose of these two types?

I've been reading and hunting for the answers to these questions to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Re: Need a hook lesson

Hi Fivedials,

Welcome to the group. Let us hear from you on a frequent basis.

Where you are just starting out buying hooks, stick with the turned down eye. You can tie 99% of your flies on a turned down eye and be correct. Worry about the other types of eyes once you have your basic stock purchased. Hope that helps. 8T

If you read through Al Campbell's Fly Tying instruction (start with the Beginners) he explains the hooks as he goes.
    Each lesson builds on the previous ones, it really works.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

Hi Fivedials,

The short answer is that for practical purposes, it makes no difference. Different fishermen and tiers like different styles of hooks, and they are available, so you see different eye styles used.

Richard Talleur did some testing and found that a standard length dry fly hook had better hooking properties than other styles, but a standard length dry fly hook with a straight eye will also do well.

Traditionally, most flies are tied on down eye hooks. These work well for all my tying, and I would recommend them for all of a beginning tiers tying, as did a post above.

There is one exception. Small flies, i.e.: #18 and smaller are easier to tie on straight eye hooks.

Regards,

Gandolf

as usual, great information already posted.

i like both eye styles.
    It will become the tiers preference on which style they like.

That's right, you will work out later with experience which styles you like for different patterns. When I started tying I must have spent hundredds on various hooks inspired with patterns saying what I should tie the fly on, and still never have the appropriate hook in stock for what I wanted! I suggest, just to start off with, that if you stick to a dry fly down eyed hook for all, in maybe three sizes, and a long shank also you will be on your way. You can use the dry for wets and nymphs as well as the dry's. Same with the longer shanks. Get the rest later.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

and a couple packs of down eye 3x long streamer hooks, for the bugger and others.

Fivedials,
    Welcome to the Family,there is no "Right or Wrong" hook, I use straight eye pretty much for everything I just like it better. Do as Ladyfisher suggested and have FUN and before you realize it You too will be another "Old F***" Er I mean Experienced Tyer.
    And Remember It ain't Rocket Science IT'S an Addicition!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bdesavage
    Fivedials,
    Welcome to the Family,there is no "Right or Wrong" hook, I use straight eye pretty much for everything I just like it better. Do as Ladyfisher suggested and have FUN and before you realize it You too will be another "Old F***" Er I mean Experienced Tyer.
    And Remember It ain't Rocket Science IT'S an Addicition!
    Bill
    the downside to the addiction....... A THIN WALLET!

And then there are hooks with NO eyes!
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

+ Reply to Thread