+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budding fly fishing partner moves away

Default Budding fly fishing partner moves away

This week my oldest son and his wife moved away for a career change. In the last two years that they have lived back here in the old home town, he has begun to develop an interest in fly fishing, and was just getting the hang of it. But . . .
    The move is to Brussels, Belgium. My daughter-in-law will be teaching kindergarten for at least the next year at the International School there. Very prestigous job for a teacher!! My son, a lawyer by trade, has been developing a secondary career as a writer. He plans to spend the time over there doing free-lance work. The way the school year is set up, the two of them will have ample opportunities to travel all around Europe. At least some of my son's writing will be based on their travels and adventures, and he has a contract to write a column for our local newspaper.

Next spring, my wife and I plan to go for about a 2 week visit. We've saved up 7 personal leave days from school (both teachers), plus a couple weekends, and maybe a few dock days to enjoy ourselves.

Gee, do they have fly fishing in Belgium??

CJ

Default Re: Budding fly fishing partner moves away

I've had fly fishing buds move away and I've been the fly fishing bud that has moved away, but it can't be anything like having your son move away. Here's a link to check out cklenske:

http://www.visitbelgium.com/fishing.htm

That looked like a good one of the sites that came up when I googled 'Trout Fishing Belgium'. I see they have pike too...that's something I want to try !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

wow!
    what made them want to move to belgium?

Don't forget,,, we love to have stuff from other countries. He ever been on FAOL? How abour his first crack at fly fishing over there? Anything different?

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Hey CJ,

That would be great to get your son to post fly fishing feedback from Belgium! There's plenty of action to be had and the old adage is dead on the money - "writer's write". It's a great way for him to broaden and hone is skill, either through posts or as a regular article contgributor.

I also have a bunch of family in Dubuque, but have never fished the trout streams in NE Iowa....gotta change that sometime soon.

Take care and know that there will be many days you'll still share on the streams...

Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

CJ.
    Keep your chin up. If you and your son have a strong bond and a close relationship, the miles separating you are not going to change that one bit. I know it won't be the same as having him close by, but you will be close in each other's hearts.

My son is only 12, but I know the day will come when he goes away to college and will meet some girl that he just cannot live without, it's all natural and part of growning up. I know I cannot keep him 12 forever and I don't want to, but I do try to spend as much time with him as humanly possible now.

He's my fishing partner and my best friend. Today, it's me doing the teaching and the listening. I hope and pray there will be a day when he's doing the teaching and listening.

CJ, keep the faith. I do hope all works out in wonderful ways for you, your son, and both of your families.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread