+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now I know why plumber charge so much

Default Now I know why plumber charge so much

It was a piece of cake getting the old faucet and sprayer out of their 10-year lodgings. Even not too bad attaching the supply lines to the new faucets. (Kewl trick I learned on one of my favorite home shows ? hook up the water supply lines to the faucet BEFORE placing it on the sink!!) Lefty loosey, righty tighty comes in handy too, remembering which is which while upside down is something entirely different. Working in a very restricted area, with a totally demonic tool, the plumbers wrench, is a study in insanity. Every muscle in my body was quaking when I finished. BUT ?
    I now have a beautiful, shiny, new faucet, and sprayer, in my kitchen sink!

It would also be suggested that a project like this one NOT be taken on, to be completed in less than an hour, while the spouse is not home. Inevitably, it will not be finished as quickly as thought, and the spouse will enter said kitchen to find you wedged up under the sink. This action does not go over well.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Re: Now I know why plumber charge so much

in this apt called plumber had a leak. was flooding. he says try this and then flood came back .i took own carr to hardware store 3 $ reddo his 100$bill work. tolit broke he went to resevere and left me with new tolit,( was to have man next day) man didn't didn't come back i saw him a month latter he asked what day he should come and fix tolit. one month with out tolit if u can't fix it. tenet was happy i did it.
    what would u doo with out tolit for a month?

next suite there is big hole 3 feet wide 2 feet tall and (taps in wall).
    there aint need to cut a hole sink fell broke drain wall tiles came of cause of sink falling he cut support out for cubord too.

why would i call plumber i can do most work i have some tools like .big bills and damage's.
    lernt redooing plumbers ways and folks say if me cant to it oh oh,

i hear tentents / boss say do it my way its done right way.
    i gave up on plumbers let me at it first.

well betty do it u self u do it your way u can do look i need this write it down.
    take old part in rag with u to hardware store take a photo.

choose own parts choose not to use quick fix parts,

u sit back and say job well don'e.

take a break . sit down if they compain u grab his neck one hand
    outher on his bottom and stick him (horozontal)into cubord and then ask him see what i did today.

on those hose's i do em from the bottom i use stainsess steel hoses.
    if that hose is on that pastic nut to hold tap on aint going over nut .( i learnt a tric to remove em)
    pillow at sink edge helps and that plumbers wrench helps.

if u change a supply tap use new ball less valve that are compression fit dont solder on.

Quote Originally Posted by backwoods
    take a break . sit down if they compain u grab his neck one hand
    outher on his bottom and stick him (horozontal)into cubord and then ask him see what i did today.

BW ... that's one of the funniest things I've EVER read!! Thank you!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

yeah funny how do u get thouse sink hold down nuts on with hose on?

i do have ha funny side. but some would say mean side.

Blog Entries

Betty congratulations, I redid my counter tops and put in a new sink about a month ago. (I feel your pain.) All the time I was doing it I was chanting my mantra under my breath. (IhateplumbingIhateplumbingIhateplumbing) Normaly any regular home repair job takes three trips to the hardware store, With Plumbing I figure 5. I am too broke to pay a plumber to do it. I have found that home repair isnt hard, just time consuming, I have more time than money so I am my own plumber, electrician, painter and carpenter. Of all the differnent home repair jobs, Plumbing is the one that is the biggest Pain

Have a great weekend

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Eric,
    I've cut the number of trips to the hardware store appreciably by measuring with my rod building calipers, and taking pictures with the digital camera. When the guys see me come into the store with my calipers and camera, the cry goes out that, "Hey! Betty's got another project!!" (we've gotten on a first name basis there!!)

eric for its simple . its cheeper than plumber to do it u self. the take money u saved and go eat out.
    one tenent said come over at 6 pm she had 2 inch thick steaks arund 10 -11 in dia i
    had to go to lobster farm and get two lobsters. her sink did not work took me 3 days to redo the line,
    was colapsed ... why compalin thouse steaks must of been elk buffalo or moose,

Quote Originally Posted by backwoods
    how do u get thouse sink hold down nuts on with hose on?

BW, meant to answer you this question, the sink hold down nuts were on the old faucet. The new faucet had a lock nut on the center thread only. Still had to attach to sprayer hose after getting the main holder tightened down. Would have been easier to have the hold down nuts to work with ... they're LOTS bigger and you can get them most of the way tight with your fingers. I really hate the demonic plumbers wrench!!

here were pipes come threw cubord have plastic wing nut, there biiger than sink hole
    you put from botom finger tight and often retighten then next is supplie lines to supply taps.
    u must have differnt kinds of tap. plumbers wrench is pain but i needed i bought it.

I LOVE PLUMBING!!!!!! As a Handyman I get lots of calls to change kitchen and bathroom sink faucets. The conversations usually go like this:

Customer: "Do you change kitchen faucets?"

Me: "Yes, I change kitchen faucets."

Customer: "How fast can you get over here?"(Notice she didn't ask "how much.")

Me: "I'm booked thru Thursday, but can get to you on Friday morning. Is this an emergency?"

Customer: "Of course it's an emergency. My idiot husband was going to save lots of money and do this himself. Now there's water..."

Me: "Say no more, I'm on my way. Oh, and there will be an additional charge to fix whatever your husband has messed up."
    Cha-Ching!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread