+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TIPPET

Default TIPPET

I noticed when I went fishing there were other fly fisherman and they were carrying diffrent size's of tippet on there vest and at times they would add tippet to the tippet that was on there line. Why?
    If you add tippet do you still use the rule of thumb of smaller tippet as you go down?

Thanks again
    Rambo

Default Re: TIPPET

some people make theie own leader out of different sizes of tippet materials. It allows for better casting if you make it right, and much more versatility for length and other factors. Plus, you are not going to tie a 5x tippet to an 8x leader. just versatility.

nen-bran

I am one of those guys. I do it for several reasons. First, when I eat up a leader and it is 2' shorter than when new I add a piece of tippet to make it like new then add another piece and start over. At other times I may be fishing 6x and want something less visible or something I can get through the eye of a small fly so I'll add a piece of 7x.

I am not overly concerned with the exacting measurements of what a proper leader taper should be.

I won't add 6x to 6x, I'll remove the old piece and add a piece of longer tippet.
    jed

While I on the other hand will add 3X to 3X if the 3X gets too short in my home made leader, not only that, I'll put 4X between 3X and 3X sections then more 4X and finally 5X...etc...the reason is to tailor the leader to turn over certain bugs. I never go lighter than 5X and prefer sticking with 3X or heavier even for trout. It can work and it is done. That's just .02 worth and my humble opinion, prolly not worth much.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose
    While I on the other hand will add 3X to 3X if the 3X gets too short in my home made leader, not only that, I'll put 4X between 3X and 3X sections then more 4X and finally 5X...etc...the reason is to tailor the leader to turn over certain bugs. I never go lighter than 5X and prefer sticking with 3X or heavier even for trout. It can work and it is done. That's just .02 worth and my humble opinion, prolly not worth much.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    George,
    WHAT on earth are you talking about???
    Doug P.S. I'm just giving you a bad time!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Hey good buddy, if you can't understand those drunken leader building instructions, you'll have to have me tye your leaders for you when you come down huh !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

George,
    You actually set a new 'LINE' record for the BB!!!
    3x, 3x, 3x, 4x, 3x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 5x, AND 3x!!!
    Your the MAN!!!
    I would like to come down there and fish, if only I could inherit someone's inheritence!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    George,
    You actually set a new 'LINE' record for the BB!!!
    3x, 3x, 3x, 4x, 3x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 5x, AND 3x!!!
    Your the MAN!!!
    I would like to come down there and fish, if only I could inherit someone's inheritence!
    Doug
    say what?!
    haha
    this thread is going confusing! lol

That's a pretty wild homemade leader ya got there Doug...now is that for drys or nymphos?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose
    That's a pretty wild homemade leader ya got there Doug...now is that for drys or nymphos?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    I guess it's for dries since I'm afraid of the other!!

+ Reply to Thread