+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should'a asked b-4 I went...

Default Should'a asked b-4 I went...

Went camping up from Chesapeak Bay to a place called Monroe Camp ground. We fished in coves in the calm water not the ruff water. Used large black woolies and some spider flie"s ,( there was some spiders around) with no luck. My son Josh and I watched 2 young kids sitting in chairs catching what I think was spot. They didn't catch but a couple so maybe they just wasn't bitting. (they was bait fishing) We still had a nice time. Susan, me, Josh and Tyler (new nephew) still had fun, we did a little crabbing with some succes, plus caught about 3 or 4 HUGE turtles...lol Maybe you guys can give me some pointers on what flies to use in those coves and how to fish them. I'm sure we will be going back. Like I said it was up from Chesapeak Bay off of the Potomic...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Default Re: Should'a asked b-4 I went...

Ok, Getting ready to leave to go to Coltons Point to pitch a tent and toss in another fly. It's up higher than Monroe bay, but still basicly the same waters. I still call it salt water fishing cause it feeds so close into the Cheasapeak Bay. Maybe you folks consider it warm water fishing iunno. at any rate. It's got MD Blue Crabs, (of witch I'm gonna also try and catch some of them, of cousre not on the fly rod) And other salt water fish, Like I said b-4, I'm not familiar with the waters but am gonna give it a try. Maybe catch a fish or too. Any of ya'll ever fish in that area and could give me a suggestion or 2 would help cause I'm pretty sure I'll be going back again. Free space to pitch a tent, not to far away, big water, and sunshine...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Well I found out that yes, it is indeed salt water, mostly, how? I jumped in...lol as I was swimming around I could taste the heavy salt, the water was very warm too. I didn't get the chance to cast a fly but did have it on a boat at one time but the opertunaty never presented it'self. You know this thread kinda makes me feel like you Pirates have put me on a raft, and set me adrift...lol Oh well, the'll be land soon enogh...

Well I'm not salty Grubb, but so you'll have an answer, tye up some minnow patterns that you find here in the archives and clousers seem to be a good answer to a lot of 'salty' questions. Those are cast out some distance then stripped back at various speeds and depths from what I've read. Again, I'm not salty so I don't know much about it really. I have a question though if you don't mind. What became of the big turtles?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Grubb, I've never fished the Chesapeake, so take this with a big grain of salt, but here on Long Island Sound during the dog days of summer the fishing is pretty much dead when the water is warm. Fishing at night or fishing as the incoming tide brings in cooler water (or better yet, both at the same time!) is generally the best strategy. The key to saltwater fishing is usually finding the fish, not figuring out what to cast at them. Salt water fish migrate and move about, following the bait fish and water temperatures. Fishing in any given location will be best according to seasonal patterns. If you want faster success, talk to a local shop about local sites, times of year, and patterns. For even faster success, find a local guide.

Good luck! But beware-- once the salt gets in your veins, it's tough to get out.

Tim,
    I agree with Charlie...the key is finding the fish in saltwater....I just couldn't find 'em in July at Hilton Head! Good luck next trip!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thanks for the tips folks, will keep them in mind. I actually had thought about using a large dace. M/M, the turtles, my son and nephew had to take pictures with the cell phone b-4 releasing them. I think that was the most exciting part of the first trip for them. They had never seen turtle's that size b-4 in the wild....

oh yeah , I forgot, aaarrrggghhh...

Yep. you should've asked. The Potomac has SMB & LMB! It's frogwater fishing! Pick up some cheap poppers (sneaky pete's) and try late afternoon before dusk.

The Chessie is definately Salty. Did you notice there are not too many beaches? Watch out for the jellyfish! They sting.

Try clouser minnows or a jiggy or minnow pattern and you might find some schooley Striped Bass near docks or lights in the evenings.

The Chessie is a big place and it's not easy to learn. Have fun!

+ Reply to Thread