+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions on a sinking line.

Default suggestions on a sinking line.

i need suggestions for a full sinking type 2 line.
    only for the type 2 please.
    i am currently looking at the SA uniform sink plus.
    and the SA wet cel.
    anyone tried these?comments on them?

any other lines to be considered?

Default Re: suggestions on a sinking line.

I think its the wet cel line I have. I use it a lot in the cold winter temperatures here in Lake Wakatipu and it holds up well. Low memory, consistent sinking and nice to cast.

Chris

Blog Entries

I like the uniform sink because you can time your sink better. The belly of the line does not contact the bottom before the rest of the line is down to the fish. I have the Sa uniform sink in 5 wt. It casts nicely and has very little coiling. I also like its dark color for the dark tannic lakes near here. Almost invisible to me in the water. Of course the fish may see it like a beacon I really don't know.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

cortland camo gets rave reviews

I know you said type 2 only, but for my own experience, the majority of full sink lines I use are mostly type 3 with a type 6 a close second

I don't know if you realise it, but as much as they would like you to believe it , with full sink lines, there's not a lot of difference in performance between premium and cheap.
    Sorry sponsors and advertisers
    I have and use a bunch of type 1, 3, and 6 full sink lines myself and I have and use 5,6,8,9,and 10 weight full sink lines on different rods.
    It is my opinion that you can pick up a good, usable type 3 line for less than ten bucks if you look around
    Please don't believe more expensive is better
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    I know you said type 2 only, but for my own experience, the majority of full sink lines I use are mostly type 3 with a type 6 a close second

I don't know if you realise it, but as much as they would like you to believe it , with full sink lines, there's not a lot of difference in performance between premium and cheap.
    Sorry sponsors and advertisers
    I have and use a bunch of type 1, 3, and 6 full sink lines myself and I have and use 5,6,8,9,and 10 weight full sink lines on different rods.
    It is my opinion that you can pick up a good, usable type 3 line for less than ten bucks if you look around
    Please don't believe more expensive is better
    very good advise.
    i might go with the type 3 but that is very fast for the lake i will be fishing it.
    with this in mind i have a descision to make.........haha soo hard

I think mine is the SA Wet Cel WF-5-S full sink. I tried to get a type II from my local dealer but ended up with a type I. I wanted a full sinking line as slow as I could get and this one is really slow sinking . Specks suspend and bite light. The straight line helps me detect the bite better since there is no bow in the line like on sink tips. The slow line drops the fly down slowly through suspending schools and that is what I wanted to give the Specks as much time to see and bite the fly as possible. Unweighted flies tend to drop above the fly line while weighted flies tend to drop at the same or greater rate of the fly line depending on fly weight. Both situations are at times advantageous for me. I like this sinking line and am glad I got it for the times I need it (especially when Specks are suspending in deep water).
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

The difference between Density Compensated and wet cell has been brought up. They both have their place. Density Compensated (or uniform sink) is a great all around sinking line. Sinks with no belly as mentioned by Gnu Bee. Wet Cell is awesome for weedy waters because of the belly.

Dudley, I am sorry I can't share your feelings on sinking lines. No disrespect intended. I had a Wally World Type III I would have sent you to prove that but, I can't do that to you LOL, plus I threw it away.
    Cortland Clear camo was mentioned, well, I used Orvis Clear intermediate and it was NOT cold freindly at all and love to come off in a pig tail, but Cortland Clear Camo.......all I can say is NICE!

SA sink lines are a great line, I use SA, RIO, Airflow and Orvis sinking line. They are all soft and a really good outer coating.

Just my opinion again, but I have all the different sink lines in different sink rates and if you told me I could only use one, it would be the TYPE II. Strip it a litttle faster for shallow hitters or count to twenty then start stripping for the deeper. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess

Dudley, I am sorry I can't share your feelings on sinking lines. I had a Wally World Type III I would have sent you to prove that but, I can't do that to you LOL, plus I threw it away.
    Goddess,
    I myself have never used diving gear to compare the different sink rates of sinking lines.
    I don't know whether or not density compensated lines are as important as advertised or if even the effects of the a level sink rate of sinking line even matters as much as "they" would like you to believe
    I myself have no problem using heavier (or lighter) flies or the use of lead heads to make my terminal tackle do what I please
    I stand by my use of the economical lines as I have done for many years
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess

Dudley, I am sorry I can't share your feelings on sinking lines. I had a Wally World Type III I would have sent you to prove that but, I can't do that to you LOL, plus I threw it away.
    Goddess,
    I myself have never used diving gear to compare the different sink rates of sinking lines.
    I don't know whether or not density compensated lines are as important as advertised or if even the effects of the a level sink rate of sinking line even matters as much as "they" would like you to believe
    I myself have no problem using heavier (or lighter) flies or the use of lead heads to make my terminal tackle do what I please
    I stand by my use of the economical lines as I have done for many years
    That's cool. You said the three key words..."Work For You". I have never been to CT. Here in the rockie mountains, a sinking line is a must. No way would I have the catch rait I have with weighted flies and a floating line. Most of the fish I catch (Stillwater that is) is on the bottom which nymphing works great. I catch a lot of th big ones at 30' to 60' deep. I have felt the difference meaning fish on one line, then switching to a different line with same style retrieve and flies with no fish.

I do feel the difference in a level sinking line and a sinking line that will form a belly. Density works on the deeper lakes were the belly work at lakes like Henry's which is around 28' deep with a lot of Vegitation.
    I do agree with Denny Richards that how a fly reacts in the water is a big KEY to success. The ZONE is the place to be.
    But that is us in the west, different strokes thing.
    Just keep the tight lines okay.

+ Reply to Thread