+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you eat carp?

Blog Entries

Default How many of you eat carp?

Seen a man down at the river today, he had a stringer full of carp. I was always told that fish that come from warm water are "wormy" and never really thought much about it after that. What's the deal with eating carp and warm water fish and 'worms'?

Thanks a lot,
    Shane

Default Re: How many of you eat carp?

Don't know about worms but here in KY the Carp from warm water have a muddy taste. I mean they taste AWFUL, Make you want to kiss the south end of a north bound skunk just to get the bad taste out of your mouth . Cold water caught Carp can be real fine for the table , I like to smoke them myself.

Nouveau cuisine? Never tried it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I have eaten them in China but naturally i think they had a team of people working on them to make them edible... it was in like fish mince things and they were quite nice. I wouldn't just fillet one and toss it on the barby and expect to eat it though. I have read about how you can keep them in clean water for a while and then prepare them to eat... supposedly grilled they are ok I believe if treated right. Some central European residents of Australia are keen on them to eat. Personally a jam sandwich is more appealing.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Carp are a important food fish in other countries, but thank heaven not here!
    I do have a more open mind about people fishing for them, than I used to.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Greetings from river country. I eat a lot of carp. "Carp fries" are still a common fund raiser around here. I've helped fry anywhere up to 400 pounds of fish many times.

I agree with Mark that "slough" carp - what we call fish from warm, shallow muddy water are beyond poor as table fare. I'll bet you that fish from Ontario waters would be excellent. I have never seen a "worm" in a carp.

How you handle the fish from the time you catch it until you eat it is a big factor. I've been meaning to put together a pictorial on how we clean carp (gotta get that done ). If you'd like to try it - here's a quick rundown.

First - stay with the females. They will be a thicker, deeper fish and the males tend to be long and skinny. If you fillet a fish and it is mostly all red - you probably have a male. Some guys eat them - I personally steer clear, they tend to be strong. A good fish to 'steak' is around 4 to not over 10 pounds.

Take a live fish - give it a quick whack on the head and cut the tail off. This will bleed the fish and make for better (whiter) meat. Takes just a couple minutes to bleed out.

'Scaling' the fish is a little tricky but easy to get onto with a little practice. Slide your knife forward between scales and skin. You are in reality cutting the scales off. With practice you can take pretty much the whole side off in one chunk. Then fillet the fish like any other.

Now, it gets a little tricky again. You are going to "score" the carp. Make vertical slices down though the meat and bone to the skin. You will feel the knife cutting through bone. Make sure you get clear to the skin. If you cut clear through a few times don't worry about it. You just want the chunks to hang together. You want these cuts to be *not more than a quarter inch apart*. Less is more here. Cut the scored fillets into chunks about 4 inches wide. Now wash it well and soak it in saltwater, in the fridge, overnight. I usually change the water on it at least once.

A carp lends itself well to the 'seasoned' breadings but I often just use flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper. The act of 'breading' is another important factor. Divide each slice of the meat and make sure you get the breading down in there. Shake off the excess.

Deep fry at 375 and enjoy. If you did a good job of scoring the bones will fry up. Now, I'm not going to tell you it tastes like bluegill or walleye - but what does? Personally I like it fine. If you like to 'dip' - tarter sauce or Miracle Whip and horseradish mixed are good.

Carp can also be canned and and I like carp smoked as well as most any fish.

Try it - bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

When I lived in Germany I caught a bunch of small carp. I thought my German neighbors were going to fight over who got them. They really appreciated the fish.

I have eaten carp both smoked and canned. and found them tasty - but then I am a big fish eater.

In response to HideHunter's comment about scoring the fillet and deep fat frying. I read about this technique quite some time ago. I tried it on some bony pickeral and it really does the trick.

Tim

I've eaten my share, either smoked or canned then used like you would canned tuna in casseroles and such. The thing about clean water versus dirty water affecting the taste is true, but it's true for any species of fish, you just don't notice it in fish like walleye and trout because you don't find them in poor water like you will carp, catfish, bass and such adaptable critters. Warmwater species are also prone to parasites, but that is also a matter of water quality. I fish in a few ponds around here where the water is stagnant and snail larva and other parasites are indeed an issue when the water reaches a certain temperature. I don't eat fish out of those ponds (don't wade or tube in them either). I have no problem keeping and eating those same species out of good clean water, and find them quite tasty. A warning: clear water isn't necessarily clean water.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

There is a restraunt in South Omaha Nebraska, "Joe Tess's" that sells cooks and serves Catfish and CARP to standing room only crowds every day. Like everything else, properly prepared it is darn good eats...

on the other hand, I did try to cook a carp I caught once... the cat wouldn't even eat it.

ED

I hear it taste a lot like chicken

+ Reply to Thread