+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking for a first dry fly to attempt

Default Re: looking for a first dry fly to attempt

I certainly concur on the CDC suggestion. Make mine a CDC and Elk:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweilenmann/cdcelk.htm

The simplest dry fly in the world:

Take a dry fly saddle hackle and tie it in at the bend of the hook. Wrap it forward in close turns until you are near the eye, then tie it off. You can improve the durability by applying a bit of head cement or super glue to the hook shank prior to wrapping the hackle. Look at the grizzly bivisible from the fly of the week archive 2nd quarter of 02. It is just like tying that fly up to step 6. It is a bivisible without the bi, a griffiths gnat without the peacock.

It fishes just as well as any other fly when fish are actively taking caddis. If you toss it right on the nose of a feeding fish, he will sometimes suck it in before looking too closely at it. Skitter it, drag it, bounce it around on the surface, toss it up on the bank and plop it into the water. It gets it's mojo from behaving like something that's alive rather than from looking like something alive and it is truely amazing how many fish can be fooled by such a simple fly.

Thanks for all the help guys .
    Eric the videos were a real help as well as everyone eles' links and suggestions...great info!
    I just tried a Adams only to discover my hackle is of the worst quality and not worth using on small flys so I did the Adams only with one type of hackle. It turned out fishable .....I guess ..... The whole thing seems a little easer now so as soon as I purchase some better materials Ill give it another go on the Adams and move on from there.

Blog Entries

JRA I go back to those videos to watch and learn often, they are a great help.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by JRA
    Thanks for all the help guys .
    Eric the videos were a real help as well as everyone eles' links and suggestions...great info!
    I just tried a Adams only to discover my hackle is of the worst quality and not worth using on small flys so I did the Adams only with one type of hackle. It turned out fishable .....I guess ..... The whole thing seems a little easer now so as soon as I purchase some better materials Ill give it another go on the Adams and move on from there.
    can you post a picture of this fly??

Quote Originally Posted by flyandtie
    can you post a picture of this fly??
    I will see if I can get my camera to actually do a close up shot .Ive been having trouble trying to get a good clear close up .

I don't know anything about your fishing area but for a simple fly that looks good and can be fished as a dry fly or a wet fly you might consider the Crackleback. It only requires 3 materials and can be tied, like someone sugested, from a #10 clear down to #16 or even #18. You can find it in The Fly of the Week. Basicly you use some kind of body, either holo tinsel or crystal flash or poly yarn, 3 or 4 strands of peacock for the back, and palmer a proper size hackle over everything. You can use almost any color hackle from grizzly to brown to black. I use a lot of green or pearl or blue holo with grizzly or brown hackle. Let it drift for a ways then pull it under and short strip it back for a ways. Hits will usually be pretty hard and will break off anything under 5x.

[quote="flyandtiecan you post a picture of this fly??[/quote]
    I couldnt get any good pics ...gotta figure out why? Heres one I did with a larger wing(just to try) and 1 type(grizzly) of hackle . I going to purchase some good hackle this week and ill try to update with some better pics. By the way ..How do guys get clear pics of your flies? My camera thats 6 months old doesnt seem to want to focus well on the fly.

And yess I know the hackle does go past the wings ....just toying on that one

JRA does your camera have a macro feature? different color backrounds will also affect it. take ur time and mess around with the zoom if there is one. What type of camera is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    JRA does your camera have a macro feature? different color backrounds will also affect it. take ur time and mess around with the zoom if there is one. What type of camera is it?
    Its a kodak easyshare and yes it has zoom...guess im gonna have to dig up the manual ...breaks everything I learned on the Red Green show

+ Reply to Thread