+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montana Bound

Default Montana Bound

I'm heading towards Great Falls on the 15th of of this month from the Black Hills.I've got a week to get some fish'n in and would like some advise on some areas to check out along the way that is not arm to arm with fellow fly fishers.I'm going to try and stay away from the major rivers(Yellowstone,Madison,etc.)
    Any info would be welcome.
    Thanks
    John

Hi John,

I'm not going to suggest actual waters but highly recommend you check out Lewistown and White Sulphur Srpings areas. Good luck & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:0a922]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:0a922]

I still get the biggest kick out of reading John's fishing trips to Montana! Leaving some of the best flyfishing in the world, to go there! Gotta love it!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Actually,there are no fish in the Black Hills!I guess there are a couple but I've caught them over a thousand times or more so I thought I'd give them a little time to let there mouths heal up alittle.
    I'm going to visit relatives so I thought,What the hell, might as well take my gear along.
    Thanks Al,I'll give those areas a shot along the way.
    John

Hi John
    Big Spring creek in lewistown has several fishing acess sites and can be good fishing. It's a relatively small stream and areas can be waded. If you come through the Bozeman area I can take you to a private pond that has rainbows in it to 20+". If you will be in the Great Falls area very long I have a pond 44 miles from there that I can take you to. Feel free to contact me.
    406-587-0382 406-580-2898

------------------
    Dean
    "A legend in my own mind"

Hey John, I live here in Great Falls, let me tell you, it is hot hot hot outside! oh, and the missouri is a little high. You can check reports at [url=http://www.thetroutshop.com:8ffa8]www.thetroutshop.com[/url:8ffa8]

Cole

I want to thank everyone for they're response,and am looking forward to the trip up north.I had the chance to fish the Big Horn in April in a series of horizonal snow storms with good success.I'm anxious to get back up in the Big Sky.
    Thanks again.
    John

John- If you fish the Spring Creek at Lewistown be aware that the fish hatchery on it let a lot of PCB's escape into the creek do to the paint they used. So I wouldn't try and eat any of the fish from it. Never thought I would be saying that about Montana.

Also Southeast of Great Falls is a stream called Belt creek it can be good fishing. Just get up higher on it at this time of year. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 09 July 2005).]

This is the first year in about 5 that Belt Creek has had water in it. I don't know if the fish have moved back into the creek. Wolvertons Fly Shop in Great Falls can probably give you some good information. 210 Fifth Street South. 406-454-0254

------------------
    Dean
    "A legend in my own mind"

+ Reply to Thread