+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some expert advice/help!

Default Need some expert advice/help!

I recently picked up an ODC 816 (Creek Co) inflatable pontoon and have used it in warm water and moving water.
    The first hurdle was car topping. It was somewhat wider (4' 6") than the rack on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I solved that problem with a rack modification and it seems to work well. Strapping it down has become a snap too.

On my first trip on the Duck River I ran into a problem on the upstream return to the take out spot. First we were realy humping butt to beat a thunder storm! Row the slow sections and wade the shallow fast sections. About 100 yards from the landing I could make very little headway in a fast deep section! I made it to wadable water and had just about enough strength to tow it to shore, fortunatly it was close enough to the car that after a long rest I was able to get it loaded up for the trip home. (Keep in mind that I'm pushing 68 years old but not in too bad of shape!)
    Because of this I'm adding a trolling motor just for this type of situation and am asking for advice/help from others that may have added trolling motors to their 'toon's. I have the kit from Creek Co. and a friend is going to loan me a trolling motor to try. I'm concerned about balancing the boat for the added weight in the stern. It does seem to be a little nose heavy now.

I think I tend to under inflate the boat and this may have enhanced the inability to row against the current! Just how hard to you make your pontoons? I've been using a Coleman re-chargable air pump and don't think it does the job, 2 strokes with a hand pump after the Coleman get it to where I can just dent it with my thumb! I do let it normalize in the cool water and add air but I think I need to do that with the hand pump.
    Not much to be concerned about with altitude here, just intense sun.

Some of the most beautiful water I've ever seen is available here by boat only, the fishing is great but almost secondary. Drifting along the limestone cliffs of the rivers here is one of the most peaceful things I've ever experianced! The Trout and Blue Gills only add to it!

I did get babtised in the Duck last Saturday, but that is another story!

Default Re: Need some expert advice/help!

Jack, What are your questions?

Just as a starter...watch where you place the seat for varying loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    I'm concerned about balancing the boat for the added weight in the stern. It does seem to be a little nose heavy now.
    I would just position the frame on the pontoons so that the boat balances well while I'm in the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise
    I think I tend to under inflate the boat and this may have enhanced the inability to row against the current! Just how hard to you make your pontoons?
    I inflate with the high capacity 2-way hand pump until the pontoons are firm, no dents. I also think that the firmer they are, the easier it is to row against current. I don't worry about pontoon pressure when the they are in the water. Water keeps them cool. But when they are out of the water, the sun might raise the pressure so I would take some air out.

BTW, I'm no expert.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Duckster;
    Balance and inflation.
    I don't have much room to move the seat forward, maybe an inch or 2! But that may be all it takes. I'll be trying it out Thursday, then look at seat placement.
    Thanks for the quick respose!

dixie;
    That is a big help, thank you!! Maybe I worry to much about over inflation!!

I said firm. Now don't get carried away and pop a pontoon, Jack.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I think when most folks ...pop...they forget and go from one extreme to another temp and/or altitude...
    Jack , I do think folks worry too much about over heavyinflation...but the less quality they buy the more they should worry.

In my limited experience a little change in the seat can make a big difference...toons vary with how much you can adjust the seat and or the frame, as Robert said...

I don't know what folks will recommend for a motor to do what you want...so that may dictate what battery you will have to use...those batteries really effect the balance...heavy

I only use a 32# thrust motor...not much power and that's on purpose so I don't need a lot of electric....

For my needs[ and again they may not be yours] I have two wheel chair batteries....they are deep cycle...won't leak when tipped... and weigh a lot less.....I can putz around a lake for a half a day with one...come in and change batteries...of course most of us have to come in sooner than that for obvious reasons...

This may not be helpful at all....

ducksterThe Creek Co. recommends a 34# thrust min. for the816. Wally World has one with a 28" shaft (another consideration). I Googled Wheelchair batteries but got lost in the specs!! What are the specs of your batteries?
    Can you email be at jhise@cafes.net I'd like to send you some photos of what I've done so far and get your opinion.

Hey Jack,

Sounds like your having fun learning the ropes with the new toon. Wish they
    were more practical here.*G* Keep in mind, you can master the skills and
    build confidence in more user friendly areas. Also, a skilled partner can show
    you more in a day than you'll learn going solo or reading about it in a week.
    If your streams have canoe or kayak liveries on them, you may be able to get
    your vehicle delivered to a landing down stream and do away with the problem
    of fighting the flow on the return. At a minimum, I'd consider starting my trip
    upstream with the realization that when I got tired, the downstream return to
    my vehicle would be a piece of cake.*G* Have fun and do be careful. Warm
    regards, Jim

There's folks that make some pretty good money taxiing vehicles from put-in to take-out.

+ Reply to Thread