+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going to the Bob

1. Default Going to the Bob

I'm heading into the Bob Marshall Saturday and thought I would do a last minute check to see if anyone has recent info on fishing on the Middle Fork of The Flathead in the wilderness area. I start at Shafer Meadows and will go to Bear Creek.

Default Re: Going to the Bob

Are you flying up to Schafer meadows and floating down to Bear Cr? Going with a guide or doing it on your own? Either way, its been record hot weather, lots of lightning storms and the mid to southern Bob is all pretty much closed due to fires right now. I haven't heard any recent reports on the area you'll be fishing - though would love to hear a report when you get back.

3. Default Re: Going to the Bob

No guide. We will be hiking oand fishing our way out for 7 days. The Fool Creek fire is to the southeast of where I'll be. So far there is about 5 airmiles between the northwestern most border of the closure area and where I'll be. Sounds close but the forest service thinks I shouldn't have a problem. It is till very hot and no rain for a long time. Hopefully the fires won't grow. The water levels are so low the rafter are now starting at Granite Creek. That means we should have about 9 miles of no rafters. But the fires may direct hikers away from the fire area and towards us.

Slough Foot - The fires to the south shouldn't be any problem where you are at, other than like you said, may redirect some foot traffic your way. It will still be relatively uncrowded in that area and find alot of cutthroat willing and eager to take your flies. Would like to hear about the trip after you come back.

weird...
    I just got back from the MF this past weekend. I spent eight days out there. You should know that the parking lot at bear creek/middle fork is now the staging ground for helicopter fire crews. Here is the email I got from my pal who is a ranger in Glacier

It seems we completed our trip just in time. There is a small fire on the southern border of Glacier, right across those clammoring train tracks where we camped. They are staging the heli crew out of that parking lot at Bear Creek. It is already contained but there is still some excitement and we missed it by barely 48 hours. The number of hot spots is rediculous right now... Wow - I just heard a report on the radio, that there is another plume of smoke up Giefer Creek! Yipes. Smokey haze has veiled the mountains like a curtain behind which the scene is set for what could become a busy fire season here. I just heard the director yell Action!

That was sent on Tuesday of this week.

You will probably be fine, just be careful. Oh, the fishing was fantastic. Don't fish the MF at the put in. Just start walking along bear creek trail towards vinegar mountain. When you get about 5 miles in, the fishing goes from tough to ridiculously easy. The only requirement for a fly to catch fish...it had to float. They were everywhere and ate everything. Without a doubt the best fishing I have ever seen...until we hiked out. I really had to work to get fish at the lot. I would say that everything south of bear creek is over-fished. If you get into the Great Bear Wilderness (in the bob) the fishing improves a bunch. They are not huge fish (my biggest was a hare shorter than 14) but they are plentiful. There is a great site just south of the ranger cabin along bear creek trail. I would suggest staying there and fishing up river. Oh, and be careful about the whole bear thing. I did see a Grizz out there, and fire makes them scared and hungry.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I've been back for 5 days and I'm still talking about the trip.

Sorry, I didn't see that you were hiking down to bear creek.... Yeah, spend as much time as far away from that parking lot as possible. There is a SERIOUS difference in the river and the amount of fish you will catch. We were a bit south of the meadows when we came down from the Mts. Everythign above us fished like a dream.

+ Reply to Thread