+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hoot Owl Fishing by Neil M. Travis

Blog Entries

Default Hoot Owl Fishing by Neil M. Travis

Hoot Owl Fishing by Neil M. Travis

This article is a very good read. It makes me wonder if those States that have a ban on night fishing are reacting to the poacher problem while ignoring the water temperature problem. I don't see an easy solution to the problem.

Luckily I live where the daytime temperature of local streams does not get warm enough to warrant an afternoon fishing ban.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default Re: Hoot Owl Fishing by Neil M. Travis

Past and future generations of fly fishers will someday realize the debt of gratitude owed to Mr. Travis. Seeking neither fame nor fortune but always humbly working well below the spotlights of society, I have known of none other of his class or dedication to our resources.

With stream closures due to high water temps and high water conditions in the spring due to snow melt; not to mention heavy winter snowfalls; I don't know how western anglers can stand not being able to trout fish moving water so much of the time.

I'd go nuts not being able to fish midday especially when that is often the only opportunity I get at times to sneak away for a few hours. I consider myself REALLY lucky I can and DO trout fish 12 months out of the year the way I want since most of the streams closest to me never get above 65 degrees and that is only in extreme prolonged heat. My favorite stream is a cool 62 in the nastiest heat and I know of a couple that run in the 50's all summer long.

Maybe they don't hold Montana sized trout but there's no hoot owl fishing for me in Pennsylvania!

Bamboozle: Its really not so bad - most of the rivers and areas that are closed are too crowded with tourists during the summer months to make fishing them much fun anyway. There are still plenty of places to fish for trout in the state such as tailwater rivers and some of the higher mountain streams (but you may need to dodge the helicopter's baskets filling up in the rivers to put out all the wildfires this year).

Well the heat has been incredible this year. We've set the all-time high for any day of 106 degrees (old record was 103) and have had days of 105 and 103 since, and many days over 100. In a normal year, the closures won't come until mid-August if at all. Just a really warm summer this year. And there are still many smaller creeks that are open and cooler, and full of trout.
    That said, it is a bummer.

I guess I'm just really spoiled. No more than a 20 minute drive puts me on cold clear wild trout water usually devoid of other fishermen.

I hope it cools down for you guys.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

I agree with Bamboozle - I'd go nuts having water close by that I couldn't fish when most of the hatch activity happens. Sorry to hear about how hot it is and that some of your waters are closed. I'm sure that there are other places to fish - but it's still gotta be a huge hassle for you.

Too bad texas can't send some of their rain your way!

Before you know it fall will be here and that means a whole new season of fishing without the high temps...

Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

+ Reply to Thread