+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing in Leelanau, MI?? And camping?

Default Fishing in Leelanau, MI?? And camping?

Hey good folks. Does anyone recommend any places to fish in Leelanau County MI? I"m going to be there next Monday - Thursday and need a fishing fix bad.

Also looking for a good tenting campground in that area, too!

Thanks for any pointers.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Jc gives good advice on this one.. Check the Boardman River, just a bit East of there is the upper reaches of the Manistee River. Good fishing where Hwy. 72 crosses the Manistee West of Grayling. Another River over that way is the Jordan River. Rusty Gates Ausable Lodge might be of help too.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Diane,

In addition to the Boardman and the Manistee, check out the Platte River. It is reasonably close to Leelanau county. Leelanau State Park is on the pennisula and offers some nice scenery, lighthouse, etc. There is also a state forest campground and several private campgrounds in the area. Do a google and you will find all the info you need.

Diane,

Why are you going that far to fish
    with all the great water you have near home?

Wish I could get down to your area more often!

------------------
    **MW**

thanks for the advice. good to see a fly shop will be in town!

I'm driving my daughter out there to visit with her grandparents and will stay a couple of days after I drop her off. Hoping to spend minimal money, paddle a little, fish a little, and get some sand between my toes.

Thanks again for the pointers, these will help mightily!

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane;
    You've also got the Betsie.
    Not knowing where you'll actualy be makes it a little tough. Bear Track campground On the Little Manistee just inside Lake County, south of Welliston is my favorite. It's mostly empty during the week, and just a short drive from Irons for supplies. We go there 2 - 3 times a year.
    Easy wading, with wild Rainbows & Browns.
    Send me an e-mail with some more detail as to what part of Leelanau you'll be in.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Diane;
    I forgot to ask if you are traveling alone.
    The Little Manistee is not a popular river for canoeing. Lots of brush and trees down!
    You mostly find seasond canoers on it as it can be a challange!
    I should have added that everytime someone new comes along they become another member of the gang!
    The campground sits on a bluff above the river and my favorite thing is to take a camp chair, a good book and my gear down to the edge and sort of kick back. If some action starts I just wade in and fish.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 06 July 2005).]

Diane -- I waited to see what others would suggest. There is a little known National Park on the Platte River just off Hw 22,hot showers canoing and beach swimmming in Lake Mich.The Platte River has browns and rainbow. It is fishable along Hw 31 and Goose rd (677) east from Honor to the fish hatchery. Sight seeing Sleeping Bear Dunes 12 miles north. I agree on the Betsie also only 10 miles south. If you get good info from the Troutsman in Traverse City you could camp east of downtown at the state park. The Boardman is a few miles south along River Dr.

------------------

Bill

Thanks Bill.
    I'm going to check that one out. Hot showers sound good to us old guys.
    Here I am a native and didn't know about it, go figure.
    Diane;
    Let me know when. I could come up for a visit and check out the campgrounds. If you want to take a canoe trip I could fish and then take you back to the put in point.

------------------

New Plans!! stop the presses.

This is a thank you and an apology! We had to change plans since my sig. other won't be joining me to camp up in Leelanau. Now the plan is to drop my daughter off in Elk Rapids on Monday noonish and then, since I'm alone, head to Grayling area (I think!) and fish the Ausable in the evening, find a cheap place to spend that night, then drive back to NY beginning on Tuesday.

So thanks for the ideas. Believe me, they aren't wasted. I'm saving the thread since I get out there every year at this time.

And I'm sorry if I wasted your ideas and time and typing fingers!

Now... I'm off to research where to get in some quick fishing on the Ausable.

You guys are the greatest.

+ Reply to Thread