+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly rod pickerel

Default Fly rod pickerel

I've been having a good time with LMs at a certain lake not far from where I live. Access isn't that good and a car top launch is the only option. But, coming off the lake yesterday a fellow car top'er asked me if I'd caught any pickerel. And I realized not a one all year, despite doing reasonably well on the LMs. But the lake is supposed to have a healthy population of pickerel. I guess they just don't like my bass bugs.

I realize pickerel probably isn't everybody's favorite gamefish, but I'd like a catch a few.

I know pickerel like spinner baits. What would you recommend for a fly rodder looking for a few pickerel?

2. Default Re: Fly rod pickerel

I have had good luck with pickerel taking bunny leeches in black. (essentially black zonker strip tail with another zonker strip palmered on the hook with a cone head. I caught them casting parallel to shore, along the edges of weed beds/cat tails, and stripping back with long strips. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Fly rod pickerel

I like bass bugs and bendback streamers for pickerel in the ponde here in DE.I find that the fish respond best to a faster retrieve than bass like.They really like a fast moving streamer.Grey/white,yellow/white and all black are good colors.

Whatever streamer you tie, just remember that Pickerel love red....
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'd recomend tying/making. (however you may see it) A few of these...They work for anything with fin's..Especially those that have teeth...trout love them just as much!!!

They are far from a chuck and duck type deal, even when useing 3 and 4 wt. rods..

I use a size 1 blade and the thinnest I can find also,To keep weight to a min. as well as the allowing for the slightest current or twitch of the rod to allow for them to spin..I've held these in place in current and watched fish come up and inhale them.

When nothing short of dynamite seems to be able to catch fish..I go to these..and most of the time save's my day...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I believe I have heard of folks using a 00 size....anyone know of a source for that size ...also for small propellers I've seen used on some woolly buggers?????

Since Bill made that post, I've been doing some internet research, and here's one source that I found for 00 spinner blades.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/cat ... blades.htm

A source for all sizes of blades is Cabela's...They send out their Tackle Craft catalog, To anyone who request's it...This can be done online or by phone..Since I recieved a PM from a member requesting a larger pic..And I recall Duckster asking for the same a while back..and having tried emailing one...I don't think I can post or mail at the size the pic actually is..But.I had AOHell then. I will try and get one out to ya!!

Here's what I use for these...

Hook: Size 6 Limerick bend streamer (Preferred) but any and all do ok..

Blade: size 1 Colorado, I find that a smaller size does not spin nearly as well as the size 1...But It pays to buy these at a shop where you can determine the blades thickness..and what metal it is made of...I like a blade stamped from brass...Not the easiest things to find...and when I do find em...I buy ALL they have!!!

Clevis: Small folded (In 500 Packs from Cabela's) just a coupla bucks.

Bead: 1/8" silver again..Bulk from Cabela's.

Tailing: I like Red Fox Squirrel, Raccoon Body,Artic Fox Tail,Grey Fox tail,Black Bear Body Guard hair....The tailing of your choice!!!

I slide the assembeled Blade and clevis onto the hook (Some preffer the in-line spinner blades and for go the clevis altogether) Again..entirely upto you...
    Then follow with the bead..NOTE: For both of the afore mentioned step's, One may have to open the hook's gap a bit..this is done with either your vise jaws, Or needle nose plier's...Both work well!

I tye on whatever color/size thread I feel I want...Lay outa 1/2" long base and lash the hair of choice down very firmly...(As most of these hair's are fairly slippery material's to work with)......With a coat or two of thread..Then apply whatever Glue,Cement,Nail polish your heart desires...and wrap another layer of thread, Whip finnish and cement again..The hair will break before they pull out..I'll garentee ya on that ;~)...

You may get some leader twist if useing these..I simply cut off a new 6 to 8 ft. section of 8 or 10 lb test and tie on another leader, If it gets to knarly...

Also do a search here on FAOL for Spinnered Minner Fly....Great fly and article by Fox Statler!!!!! He give's info on where to get blaeds and such as well...His fly uses the in-line blades....and work's marvy I might add!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread