+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Older Montague

Default Older Montague

Hi
    I recently found an older Montague bamboo rod. The only markings is the sticker near the handle that read Montague , Lake Pleasant. The but section and the middle section is 36" each and the tip section is 28 1/2". The tip eye is missing, and I suspect the tip has been broken. I can tell it has had a eye on the tip. there is one eye on the but section and there is two on the middle section,. there is one eye one the tip section. One ferrule is loose (glue) and one ferrule has a split in the part that is on the bamboo. It has a metal sliding reel set. The rod appears to be straight with no sets in the sections. Does this rod have any value and is it worth fixing?

Thanks

nighthawk Guest

Default Re: Older Montague

Most Monty rods were mass produced and carry little value unless in excellent condition. However, what you have here is a candidate for you to restore or create a rod that is uniquely your own. All of the old rods have "value" but it depends on your perspective of "value" and how much you want to invest in the rod. Some folks on the board will tell you that Montague's are heavy tomato stakes. I tend to like those old Monty rods so I am biased towards them.

Properly rebuilt by yourself, or a rod maker, this rod can be a quality bamboo rod. I would seriously consider rebuilding it yourself. It would make a good winter project and save the expense of a professional restoration/rebuild. That's not to say it will be cheap, you will want to use quality parts. I think you may have a good candidate for a banty rod. The hardware and tools you would need are readily available from our sponsors and other companies. Here is one of my favorites:

http://www.goldenwitch.com

Let us know what you decide to do with the rod. There is plenty of help here no matter what you decide to do.

Hi Nighthawk
    Thanks! I haven't bought the rod at the present time. I haven't decided if I want to put the time a money into one.

Hi--I restored a Monty for a friend of mine and it worked out well. I got the restoration information from another friend who happened to have Michael Sinclair's book on restoration and refinishing classic split cane rods, which I recently bought on E-Bay myself. I fished the rod and found it to be okay, like Nighthawk says. Refinish it yourself, it will be fun and a great experience. If you want, drop me a post and I'll give you the information from Sinclair's book on the rod.

nighthawk Guest

Dean,
    Hit the yard/garage sales in your area. You can sometimes find these old rods for 20 bucks or less! If you are going to do a restoration or rebuild that gives you more wiggle room. You could then consider a rod with some damage or missing items so long as the bamboo is in good condition. Look for cracks in the bamboo, delamination, dings, splits and other obvious damage. I avoid rods with these types of damage to the bamboo. Check the conditon of the reel seat and cork grips. They are easily repaired or replaced but that will mean more money thus reducing the price of the unrestored rod. If you are restoring the Rod few missing guides are alright. You will probably want to put new, larger guides on it but, again, this limits the value of the rod before restoration.

Check the ferrules for tightness and cracks. Most Montague rods used silver plated brass ferrules. These are not top quality and prone to cracking. Most quality ferrules are a nickle/silver alloy. Put the rod together and give it a few wiggles. If you hear a clicking noise that means the ferrules are loose and will have to be replaced or re-glued. Personally, I plan on replacing ferrules. It can get pricey but you will get a much better return in quality and resale value. It usually is not difficult to replace ferrules.

You should be able to pick up a good candidate Montague ( Monty) for under 50 bucks. I certainly would not spend much more than that unless the rod has already been restored with quality parts and craftsmanship.

nighthawk Guest

Here is an example of a Monty that I picked up off of EBay:

note cracked winding check

The only real issue with this rod are the ferrules. They need replaced, but that is a big reason to keep the amount I would pay way down. If I recall I think I paid 45 dollars plus shipping. Perhaps a bit high but the bamboo, wraps, guides and tip top are in very good shape. The guides are good enough to be used again but I will replace them this winter. A member of this board has helped me a great deal, even gave me some of that beautiful scarlet thread for my rod!

A word about buying bamboo off of EBay. Buyer beware, Lots of folks on there will bid way too much for the rods! There is a lot of junk for sale there as well. Read the feedback. Ask pointed questions about the rod. Ask detailed questions about the things I pointed out in my reply above. Make certain they have a return policy so if you are not happy they will give a refund. Beware of anyone selling an unrestored "vintage" rod as mint, beautiful, ready to fish, etc... Such is hardly ever the case for an unrestored bamboo rod. If it is the case then you will pay a premium price for it. Ask questions about the rod here before you bid on it. Like I said, you can get a good rod there for under 50 dollars but be very picky.

I will completely restore this Monty.

Hi Nighthawk
    I have bid on several on E-bay and most went for more than I am willing to pay. I may just list this one on E-bay and see if it will bring more money for the owner than I want to pay. Thanks for the information

Lunker,

Sorry to say I doubt that rod is worth much unless you can find another tip for it. That tip section is 7 and 1/2 inches short and by your description from the tip not butt of the section. An inch or 2 short may not affect a section but 7 inches it is probably trash. A new tip might go for 75.00 unfinished www.codella.com a scarf will go for at least 50.00. I would wait and hope to find another Montague rod at a flea market or garage sale that you can use parts from both rods to make 1 full size rod and then 2 bantys.
    You cut the Butt section of the bad rod in half add a handle and you add it to the mid and tips of the good one for a 7'-6" rod. Add a handle to the bad rods mid section and that with a good tip is a 6' rod. Make an independant handle that fits the mids ferrule and you also get a 6'-10"rod. Plus the 9' rod you get 3-4 rods configurations from 2 blanks without much cash involved.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread