+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birch Bark Handles

Default Birch Bark Handles

I read the post from Mike about birch bark handles and want to try that myself for a split cane I'm building. Where can I find materials and is there anything unusually different from cork, especially set-up and glue?

Default Re: Birch Bark Handles

The birch bark handle looks beatiful, it feels nice to hold and works great, Only two disadvantages, it is about twice as heavy as cork, but as long as the weight is located in the handle it doesn't affect my casting, in fact on a bamboo it helps in balancing the rod. Second making a birch bark handle adds a lot of hours to rod making. I have purchase birch bark from sevral places, what you wnat to look for is the barks that has as little as possible the darkened blisters, where to get it - EBAY is a source look at item # 290140182891 or 290106644054 THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT - tem 20514618709 is more like you want (order sheets like the one in the bottom right corner). Clean the white outer covering off, some sand it off, I use a wood chisel and sahve it off, on the backside I use my wood chisel as a scraper and scrape off the outer layer, cut the bark into 1 1/4 squares. A normal rod takes 150-200 squares depending on the thickness of the bark. stack about 20 together and glue, I wipe one side with gorilla glue and stack- then clamp tighty together - after curing 24 hr, drill a 5/16 hole thru the center - Now you have birch bark rings that you treat like cork rings, however since birchbark has a tendency to split you need to place wood end caps on each end - Here is a pretty good offer - PM me your email address and I will send you photos of start to finish, MIke

Mike,

If you don't mind sharing - how about an article on FAOL? I'm sure other's would be interested as well.

TxEngr

I, too, would be interested in reading an article, and seeing pictures of the process you use. The whole thing facinates me!! And the finished handles are incredible!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Okay, I will write up an article fpr the birch bark grip along with pictures and will email it to J Castwell and have him post it, also an an added article -turning your own reel seats usinf a drill press and simple everyday tools and coating the reel seat with a cyanocylate finish (fancy ame for super glue) super glossy and tough and dries in 2 minutes - watch for an anouncement in about 30-60 days - Part 1 - Birch bark grip, Part 2 Reel seats

Thanks Mike

Fantastic!! I look forward to the articles!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Here's a picture of one of Mike's handles and reel seats. I've had this one for about a year and have been looking for the right blank to put it on. I'm going to put it on the bamboo blank that I'm going to win in this months' drawing. Note on the handle: I think the end caps and reel seat are made from spalted maple. When I got it from Mike it was about 90% finished and that is still the way it is. It needs a little bit more shaping and finishing. I will seal it with several coats of Casey's Tru-Oil. The picture does not do justice to this fine example of Mike's handiwork.
    Chuck

That is so neat!! Unfortunately, if you want to put it on the bamboo blank, you'll need to do it from my house! I really hope to win that blank!!

I know people in low places who want me to go to the dark side (boo), and they are arranging for the boo blank to be won by yours truly. Sorry Betty, but it's already in the stars.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Mike,

Thanks for being willing to share your craft. I really look forward to the article. Even if I never build one of your grips, it will be interesting to see how it's done.

TxEngr

+ Reply to Thread