+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Fishing in Oklahoma

Default Nice Fishing in Oklahoma

I just wanted to tell everbody about how great the fishing is currently on the Mountian Fork River in South Eastern Oklahoma. I went down there for my first time over the weekend and was plesently surprised at how much activity and how many large Trout this river holds. You can catch 16"-18" fish all day and every now and then an even better fish. I believe this fishery is slowly becoming something special and will become famous here in the near future. I spoke with a man from California that fishes all over and he said the Mountain Fork was one of his favorites and I can see why. It's a beautiful area and even more beautiful Fishing. Oh and the new State Record Brown Trout was recently caught here at 17+ Pounds. Consider the old record was barely over 12 lbs that's something. Tube fishing or fishing with a kick boat would be great here also. everbody should check it out. I highly recommend it.

The Lower Mountain Fork is a great vacation destination for families. Broken Bow Lake is prettiest lake I've seen in Oklahoma, and Beaver's Bend State Park is also Oklahoma's best in my opinion. The state park can cater to just about anybody with everything from primative camping sites to air conditioned cabins. My only complaint is that it's too danged far from home! It's a 5 or 6 hour drive for me, so I've only been there twice.

yes, it is far. About 186 miles for me one way. The fishing was great though and the beauty of the area is awesome.

Dagnabit! Ya done gone and just ruint my favright place by spreading all these malicious truths. Oh Boy!

If'n yur gonna go make sure to stop by Sid and Peggy's fly shop right in the middle of the park along the river. The coffee is free and he'll be glad to swap yarns with you - even if you don't fish with a fly.

Jim Stocks
    Tyler, TX

[This message has been edited by jimstocks53 (edited 05 July 2005).]

Just my luck, every time I've been down to the park Sid's shop has been closed.

Yes, I spoke to Sid on the phone and he seems like a great guy. Shop was closed when I went though.

Blog Entries

brhokla,
    Are you a member of Tulsa Fly Fishers? Our club just made two donations to the ODWC stream biologist down there in that area. One is for scuba equipment, the other more substantial donation is to help with the "Evening Pool" project. It's nice to see our wildlife dept. makin an effort to improve both of our tailwater fisheries.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

You just had to go and say some really nice things about the Lower Mountain Fork, didn't you? As if it's not crowded enough already. I usually make it there about 2-3 times a year. Actually, it's usually only crowded on weekends, so I try to arrange it that I will be there during the week, and often have miles of river to myself. In addition to the Lower Mountain Fork for trout, there is also good smallmouth bass fishing in the Upper Mountain Fork and nearby Glover River.

Larry Compton

Biot Midge,

Yes, I went to the last meet and I'm joining the club. You have spoken to me many times on the chat and we have met. My name is Billy. We need to go do some fishing sometime.

I work as a fly fishing guide through Beavers Bend Fly Shop and I also work the shop Monday and Tuesday during the summer to let Sid get some rest from the weekend crowds. I'm also a school teacher which works out nicely in that regard as I get to fish the river about three times a week not counting guide trips.

Let me start by saying the fishing Brhokla is refering to is in the "trophy section". Which is barbless hooks only, no bait, and only a one fish per day creel, that has to be 20" or longer. Two weeks ago the rearing pen trout were emptied into the trophy section. This accounts for a lot of catching and not much fishing. I had a client snap off his nymph while fishing and was still getting hit on his split shot at about the rate of 3-4 hits per drift.

There have also been many horror stories(baits, barbs,too many fish being killed,poor ethics by both fly fisherman and spin fisherman) coming out of this hot spot, and many folks are breaking the law to get into the "good fishing". So if you are going to fish this section please respect the laws and the fish.

PS: The fishing should return to normal in a few weeks.

Mike B

+ Reply to Thread