+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fishing Disney world

Default Fly Fishing Disney world

I will be in Disney for 8 days over the fourth of July week. I seem to remember an article on flyfishing the surrounding lakes for some killer C&R bass...I think it was by Barry&Cathy Beck. Does anyone remember the source for that article? Can any of you recommend a FF guide in that area? Has anyone here fished those lakes? We are staying all inclusive at Disney and are not renting a vehicle on this trip down, so the immediate area is my only choice if I want to wet a line... TIA for any help

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

My wife and I spent a few days at Disney World right after new years. We stayed at a Disney resort. I took my 3 wt travel rod and fished in the lake (pond) that was a the resort. I caught a lot of sunfish and several small bass. I was unable to land the bass because my tippet was too light (4x) to horse them out of weeds. There was not much surface action (no bugs) so caught most of them on nymphs and small wooly buggers. I did catch a few with poppers.

During the times that I was fishing I got no comments negative or otherwise from the staff at the resort. There was quite a bit of interest from other guests. Ranging from "is this really OK to do" to "are they paying you to do this?"

Disney provides guided trips on one of the larger lakes. But these only last two hours. I think that you can get plenty of action from the shore.

------------------
    Mike T.

[This message has been edited by mtipton (edited 15 February 2005).]

I think fishing is ok at the resorts unless posted. They might frown on fishing the catsle fountain though!
    Bill

If you can slip away for a day while your wife sees more of the theme sights, you might want to hire a guide over at Port Canaveral and hit Mosquito Lagoon for Tarpon and Red Fish! It's only about an hour away from the park.

From what I hear it is getting so expensive there they should give you a guide for free. I just herd it cost $75.00 a day just to get into the park for an adult. All I can say is WOW. I think I will just go fishing out side of that park.

I've been re-reading old magazines this winter and last night it was American Angler Nov/Dec 1992. There is an article "Fishing Mickey's Florida Playground" by Ray Morris.
    Not sure if this is the one you meant, it my be a bit dated.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I hear ya Ron. Were it not an "all-expense paid" trip, we certainly wouldn't be going. Think of the destinations one could reach on $5000.00.....

Thanks, Dudley, I think I have that issue. The one I was thinking of was by the Becks and was on various parts of florida, and Disney was well-represented. Thanks for the other tips as well, gang. Anyone know any FF friendly bass guides in the area?

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

beeen about 10 yrs or so......but I went to K-mart and bought a cheep spin rod/reel and got into the fishing there in the hotel "ponds".....was using dough balls and catching the heck out of the sunny's and bass no problems from the staff...ended up giving the rod to the bell man who was getting me the bread dough

+ Reply to Thread